Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#89758 - 12/11/01 06:05 PM Yakima LowRider Rack...
Adalbert Offline

Loc: Muskoka ,Ontario - Canada
...locking rack system that fits onto the Xterra rack. Anyone have experience with this?? The Xtowers are also under consideration, but I like the fact that the Lowrider is lockable

#89759 - 12/11/01 08:32 PM Re: Yakima LowRider Rack...
xcanuk Offline

Loc: Mtl. Que. Canada
Don't know "lowrider" .. Is that the one the Canadian Nissan dealers sell? While our stateside friends got X-towers, we got another type of a low rackbar version. Depending on what you are going to carry, still check mightymounts to the original crossbars.

#89760 - 12/11/01 09:21 PM Re: Yakima LowRider Rack...
neil Offline

Loc: LA,CA

i saw the lowrider too. its new but i dont know how it hooks onto the xterra rack...

it says it works for the xterra, go figure.
if it works, it looks good to mount upside-down!

#89761 - 13/11/01 04:59 AM Re: Yakima LowRider Rack...
Adalbert Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xcanuk:
Don't know "lowrider" .. Is that the one the Canadian Nissan dealers sell? While our stateside friends got X-towers, we got another type of a low rackbar version. Depending on what you are going to carry, still check mightymounts to the original crossbars.

Lowrider is on the Yakima Website as a lockable system that attaches to Xterra ( and other)factory racks. The local outdoor/canoe shop did not have them in the catalogue, nor had they heard of them so I am guessing its a relatively new product. They called their Yakima rep to get prices. The lowrider is a bit mor expensive than Xtowers, but it was not clarified if that included the locks. I suspect not. The object is to put wider bars on to accommodate 2 canoes.

#89762 - 13/11/01 05:54 AM Re: Yakima LowRider Rack...
xcanuk Offline

I haven't been back to the yak site in a while, I'm with Neil ( based on the pic ) I wonder about an X application mounting. The roundbar must squeeze the mounts inward. ( like those Quick Grips for woodworking )

[ 11-13-2001: Message edited by: xcanuk ]

#89763 - 13/11/01 08:33 AM Re: Yakima LowRider Rack...
MOLTAR Offline

Loc: richmond, va
i was on the phone with yakima today, and they say the pic of the lowrider on the website is deceiving, that it wraps under the rack bars. i don't see how this works, and would be skeptical. i have gone with something similar to this http://www.xterragalactica.net/mods/bikerack.html
but i have used the u-bolts over the yak bar, and the bracket under the x rack. it's a little cleaner looking than xg's setup. as well, the round bars would create a severe bend in the brackets. i think i used 1-1/4" x 2-1/2 u-bolts, with brackets from 2-1/2" u-bolts (don't quote me on this. get some calipers and measure it before you go shopping) under the x rack. i also placed small pieces of inner tube under the yak bar where it sits on the x rack, and under the bracket to keep any vibration noise down. email me if you need more info. i will be posting a pic as soon as i get one. i'll post the link here. laugh

#89764 - 13/11/01 09:47 AM Re: Yakima LowRider Rack...
neil Offline

Loc: LA,CA
the only thing i can figure is that the lower 1/2 looks like a rubber cover.

maybe the mounting 'strap/bracket' loops around the xterra rack and the rubber cover conforms to fit?
i'm gonna check it out in person-my curiosity is piqued!

#89765 - 13/11/01 12:07 PM Re: Yakima LowRider Rack...
xcanuk Offline

I think I just saw it, or something very close to the pic on a truck ( just blanked on what make ) There was another curved bar behind the mount similar to the front shown in the pic.. basically a low riser X-tower that is lockable.

#89766 - 14/11/01 09:45 AM Re: Yakima LowRider Rack...
fishboy Offline

Loc: Outer Banks N.C.
I have a set of the lowriders on my X and they are rock solid, I put a pair of steel heads to mount bikes on and love them. Easy to install and take down, lockable and relatively short. It worth the money. To install all you have to do is turn the part where it locks and the two sides come together and that also slides another part up to hold the round bar, the rubber makes everything hold tight and wont mark the factory rack. I put mine on when they came out about a month and a half ago. I LOVE them, that all i can say.

#89767 - 14/11/01 11:13 AM Re: Yakima LowRider Rack...
Adalbert Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by fishboy:
I have a set of the lowriders on my X and they are rock solid, I put a pair of steel heads to mount bikes on and love them. Easy to install and take down, lockable and relatively short. It worth the money. To install all you have to do is turn the part where it locks and the two sides come together and that also slides another part up to hold the round bar, the rubber makes everything hold tight and wont mark the factory rack. I put mine on when they came out about a month and a half ago. I LOVE them, that all i can say.

Sounds good. Does the price include locks, or are they a seperate purchase like Thule does it??
Thanks,
Bert

#89768 - 14/11/01 11:36 AM Re: Yakima LowRider Rack...
fishboy Offline

Locks are not included in the price. Just remember to get enough locks for the rack and if your going to put things on it like a steelhead then locks for that also.

#89769 - 14/11/01 11:37 AM Re: Yakima LowRider Rack...
CheetaraX Offline

Loc: Ft. Collins
all yak's come with blanks in the locks that way you can get a one key setup for all your yak locking components. Always add the cost of the locks when looking at there products. It may be a little deciving but not have a seperate keychain with 5 keys on it is a nice option.

#89770 - 13/05/02 07:11 PM Re: Yakima LowRider Rack...
lemsip Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
An old thread, I know.

Does anyone know if the lowriders will fit upside down, allowing crossbars to be attached under the rack ?

Thanks.

#89771 - 14/05/02 04:42 AM Re: Yakima LowRider Rack...
fishboy Offline

They should be able to fit upside down, I never tried it but it looks like it should fit as I have two steelheads and a powderhound (for fishing rods) The under system would not work for me.

#89772 - 14/05/02 06:10 AM Re: Yakima LowRider Rack...
lemsip Offline

Loc: Lakewood, CO
Why would the under system not work for you ? I have a BigPowderHound too(to carry snowboards) and was thinking I could attach it to Yakima cross bars mounted underneath, if I removed the factory bars. Do you think there would be a problem with this ? Maybe the powderhound would be too close to the side bars to open it ?

#89773 - 15/05/02 08:55 AM Re: Yakima LowRider Rack...
fishboy Offline

Well I use the powderhounds to carry my big surf rods 11.5-13 ft so I need the extra room for the reels and with it being above the rack the length is not a problem.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal