Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92514 - 21/11/02 08:04 PM Mossy Nissan (Kearny Mesa)
Izvin1 Offline

Loc: Escondido, CA
Unbelievable, I just took my X in to Mossy to have several things taken care of. This is several months after getting a fabtech suspension lift, 32"'s and a gibson exhaust done @ 4wheelparts.
I expected they would not cover anything under warranty and would say that it was a result of the lift and oversize tires.
To my surprise they covered everything they should have and even knocked off about fifty bucks from the original labor quote I got to install a spoiler.
I thought this post was going to be a slam when they ripped me off but turns out to be a compliment.

Proud to be an American

#92515 - 21/11/02 09:35 PM Re: Mossy Nissan (Kearny Mesa)
Snoopy Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Mossy? You got'a be kidding. I usually hate the service I get at Mossy. I'm glad they helped you out.

BTW, are you going to come out and play with SCCX this Saturday:
http://www.sccxterra.com/xcursions.html

#92516 - 22/11/02 08:01 PM Re: Mossy Nissan (Kearny Mesa)
Izvin1 Offline

I was surprised myself. My chick friend (of 10 yrs)has always had good luck. Mine has been so so.
Thanks for the offer of the outing but I've been to SG Canyon a couple of months ago and it's a little far to drive for the experience
I am going to take the kids out to Borrego. I'm thinking of trying to make it to Cougar Falls. :rolleyes:

Proud to be an American

#92517 - 22/11/02 09:49 PM Re: Mossy Nissan (Kearny Mesa)
Mimic2k Offline

I was about to buy my Xterra from Mossy Kearny Mesa, they had a 2002 Just Blue XE-V6 4x4 with Power and Utility Packages (only a few of them left in San Diego county and Temecula. And I was about to sign the papers for it, when I decided to check around at a few dealerships other than Mossy, so we drove to Pacific Nissan (I don't think I'll ever go there again, every truck I opened up smelled like smoke, and the salesman was an ass and kept trying to push me to a 4x2. It turns out that they only had one 4x4 on the lot) So anyway I called up Quality Nissan in Temecula, and they had the exact same truck that Mossy Kearny Mesa had, but they were very anxious to beat Mossy's price laugh So I did some negotiating on the phone, and got an agreement that they would beat Mossy's price by $1000 (their sticker price was a few hundred more than Mossy which was 23,350, or something close, but Quality Nissan sold me the Xterra for 22,000 out the door.) So I couldn't beat that price, especially since it was the same truck I was looking at at Mossy but for a much better price smile

Now my only concern is when I take it into be serviced. I was told by Mossy (before I left I asked where I can get it serviced) that I can only bring it back to a Mossy dealer, but Quality Nissan said that I could bring it to any Nissan dealer to get warranty work done and scheduled maintence. So i'm not sure who to believe. I mean I don't really want to drive all the way out to Temecula (40 miles from where I live) to get work done on my truck, so was Mossy just feeding me a line of BS about that or can I take it to Mossy here in Escondido (about 15 minutes from my house) if I have any problems, and for my scheduled maintence? (hehe can you tell this is my first new truck? [Freak] )

Anyway that's great that you got good service at Mossy, I can't speak for their service, but when I was looking to buy an Xterra they guy I was talking to (I can't remember his name) was really cool and nice (how else are you going to treat a 21 year old with 24k to spend on a new truck :p ) But he was able to answer all my questions (even though I knew most of the answers already.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but I really like Quality Nissan in Temecula, and I wouldn't hesitate to take my truck there to be worked on, or to buy another new truck from them. They sales guys are really cool, especially Nick who I was talking to about beating Mossy's price. When I got to there it was around 6pm, and he had the Xterra pulled around front all washed and everything, and pretty much as soon as we pulled up he was at our window saying Hey you must be who I was talking to on the phone, and handed me the keys to go on a test drive smile Probably the coolest thing about it was while we were on the test drive Nick offered to show me some good dirt trails in Temecula to test out the Xterra's offroad capability, I decided not to, simply because it was already dark, and I didn't want to risk messing it up before i even bought it :p But it was still really cool of him to offer.
So another great dealer is Quality Nissan in Temecula.

-Braden

Front:Radflo Coilovers
Rear: Deaver Mini Pack, Bilstein 5125s
Engine: AEM Intake System, and Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust

#92518 - 23/11/02 05:37 AM Re: Mossy Nissan (Kearny Mesa)
J.P. Offline

Quote:
Now my only concern is when I take it into be serviced. I was told by Mossy (before I left I asked where I can get it serviced) that I can only bring it back to a Mossy dealer, but Quality Nissan said that I could bring it to any Nissan dealer to get warranty work done and scheduled maintence. So i'm not sure who to believe. I mean I don't really want to drive all the way out to Temecula (40 miles from where I live) to get work done on my truck, so was Mossy just feeding me a line of BS about that or can I take it to Mossy here in Escondido (about 15 minutes from my house) if I have any problems, and for my scheduled maintence? (hehe can you tell this is my first new truck? )
You should be able to get warranty work done at any Nissan dealership in the USA.

I have not done it yet with the Xterra, but my Mitsu broke down on a road-trip. I was out in Nebraska, and the Mitsu dealership in Lincoln took care of my warranty work.

It should be the same for Nissan.

#92519 - 23/11/02 07:01 AM Re: Mossy Nissan (Kearny Mesa)
Izvin1 Offline

Congrats Mimic2k, on the purchase.
Consider yourself one of the few that had a good experience with a new car purchase. Especially lucky because of your age. From my observations they normally treat younger people like sh#t.
On the service issue, JP is right, you can take it to any Nissan dealer you want. They would be more than happy to get your $ for the work to include warranty wk. The dlr was using a typical BS line stating you had to go to them (Kearny Mesa). They got what they deserve, they lost the deal. [Finger]
I purchased my X from Mossy Escondido and a Pathfinder from Mossy Kearny Mesa and had a "good" experience but...... we did "alot" of research and took no BS. Both of us work at a larger Financial Institution and made sure they knew we would be sharing our experience. The sales rep was probaly glad to see us go.
I have never used Escondido Service Dept though. Please let us know how your first experience goes.

Proud to be an American

#92520 - 23/11/02 10:39 AM Re: Mossy Nissan (Kearny Mesa)
Mimic2k Offline

Okay Cool, I figured it was just a dealer line that they were feeding me. It's good to know that I don't have to drive to Temecula to get work done smile

I was really surprised at the service I got also, because before I was ready to buy an Xterra I went to Mossy in Escondido to look at them and find out some more about them, as soon as I stepped on the lot all the sales guys would look at me, and one would start walking over to me, and when I said Hey I have some questions about the Xterras, they would say all right well are you ready to buy today? I said I would consider it depending on if I get my questions answered or not. Then they were like, okay well I just got called (when the little P.A. thing didn't go off ot anything) and I'll be right back to answer your questions. They never came back. So I decided not to buy my truck from them. So I think I got really lucky with Quality Nissan.

Anyway, I'm curious to see how their service department is. I'm actually going to go down there today to get a locking gas cap (I'm assuming that they sell them, and hopefully it will be cheaper than ordering it from Xterraparts.com because if I go through them it will cost $25 shipped.) So hopefully they won't be too bad, otherwise I'm willing to drive to Temecula to get work done smile

Thanks for the help smile

-Braden

#92521 - 23/11/02 02:35 PM Re: Mossy Nissan (Kearny Mesa)
J.P. Offline

You're better off ordering it from Xterraparts.com.

If the dealership you go to is anything like mine, they won't recommend one. One of the guys behind the parts desk (not the parts manager) gave me some BS about the Xterra not working with a locking gas cap.

#92522 - 23/11/02 06:34 PM Re: Mossy Nissan (Kearny Mesa)
krisjon Offline

Loc: San Diego (formerly Oahu, Hawa...
The only people that make a locking gas cap for the X is STANT and your dealer is unlikely to carry them in stock (unless you're extremely lucky). Check your local auto supply store or order from xterraparts.

Mossy is pretty hit or miss service and sales-wise. My aunt is a service manager at the one in El Cajon, so needless to say, I get stellar service and major hookups.

Funny enough, I actually bought my X through Pacific Nissan because like Mimic, Mossy wasn't willing to deal.

Service-wise, Pacific is actually really good...especially if you deal with Carl Pugliese. I used to go to him before my aunt started with Mossy and had nothing but great service.

#92523 - 23/11/02 07:10 PM Re: Mossy Nissan (Kearny Mesa)
Mimic2k Offline

You were right about the dealership not recommending the locking gas cap. When I walked in there and asked for a locking gas cap for an '02 Xterra the guy looked at me like I was on drugs [Too much XOC] and he asked me why on earth I wanted a locking gas cap, and I told him that I just spent $22k on a new truck and I'm not going to let anything happen to it. He just kind of laughed and walked off. Oh well, I guess they won't be getting any of my business if that's how they handle things. So i'm going to just order it through Xterraparts.com

-Braden

#92524 - 23/11/02 08:24 PM Re: Mossy Nissan (Kearny Mesa)
krisjon Offline

Loc: San Diego (formerly Oahu, Hawa...
Figures. Most dealerships will poo-poo anything that doesn't have Nissan Genuine Parts stamped on it.

Before you order the gas cap from Xterraparts, check out the part number and see if your local auto supply doesn't have one. I've seen the caps at a few shops in my area. Might save you the wait and the shipping.

#92525 - 03/12/02 04:09 PM Re: Mossy Nissan (Kearny Mesa)
Guy Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca.
Bought from Mossy but I take the X to Pacific for servicing because it's close to work. Good hear about Mossy not making a big deal about after market upgrades though. Both send me coupons in the mail for oil changes. Good deals but they always expire before I need the oil change. Happens every time so it's for sure a timed event.

#92526 - 27/12/02 11:28 PM Re: Mossy Nissan (Kearny Mesa)
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
I had good luck with Mossy a few years back when I was living in San Diego - had to get two of my fuel injectors replaced on my 240sx because they were leaking externally [Freak]

Same engine as used in the 4 cylinder X - will be watching to see if they have the same problem or not.

Anyway, I dropped the car off in the morning, took their shuttle van to my work - and they picked me up in the afternoon. They were pretty fair on the labor rates - the parts, of course, were more expensive than a third party shop - but I was trying to get the injectors replaced through Nissan. Fuel injectors aren't EVER supposed to leak gas externally - a very bad thing (had gas pooling on my engine block [Freak] of course Nissan didn't do anything about it, still battleing/harrasing them and NTHSA).

Also scheduled warranty work on the 240sx to get the "automatic seatbelts" replaced. Lifetime warranty item on a 10 year old car - they didn't even flinch. Scheduled the work, did it in one day and again they ferried me to and from work.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal