This might be kinda long so forgive me.

I bought an SE 4x2 Denim Blue in June 1999 after a drunk driver totalled my 94 Red Nissan pickup that had 99000 miles on it. I wanted a 4 wheel drive, but at the time, there were no 4wd SE's in my area (the South) because June was when the X's first went out for sale.

Anyway, in Feb 2000, I decided to trade in the 4x2 SE on a 4x4 XE fully loaded, but the dealer I bought from originally wouldn't talk sensible numbers. I talked to 2 other dealers in the area with similar results. Finally, I called a Nissan dealer in Memphis, Tennesse (Murdoch Nissan) and talked with a salesman over the phone about the luck I'd had, and the numbers I was looking at. He said I sounded reasonable and had what I was looking for on the lot and to just come on up and we'd get it done. The wife and I took half a day off work to make the 1.5 hour treck to Memphis.

Got there and they were ready for us, man! Changed tune altogether - said I didn't understand on the phone what numbers they had in mind (B.S.) and that they wouldn't budge. Even said that they had called the dealer in Mississippi I'd bought the SE from and that's what changed their mind - the logic being if that dealer wouldn't play then why should they?

That steamed me. I couldn't believe the dealer in Mississippi would pull a fast one on me that way. We left, and I called the Mississippi dealer on the cell phone and read him the riot act only to have him convince me he'd not talked to anyone about this scenario and was totally clueless.

Went back to the Memphis dealer and told him and the manager this info only to have him get really nasty when I demanded we call the Mississippi dealer. He was visibly caught in a lie, but still wouldn't budge on any numbers.

Finally, I went through AutoBytel and found an excellent dealership in Mississippi that took my trade in SE with less than 20K miles and special ordered my XE 4x4 from Smyrna (3 weeks) and delivered it to me. We handled all the paper work over the table at the local McDonalds. Best of all, he didn't haggle at all with my numbers. And I got a new XE for way under list at 6.9% with a trade in! That dealers name is Chandler Motors in Oxford, Mississippi. He will deliver anywhere - not just the south.

However, don't got to Murdoch Nissan in Memphis unless you have a lawyer and a video camera!

M'issippi X