Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93144 - 18/03/03 06:02 AM What to do?
shiesl Offline

Loc: Lincoln, VT, USA
I needed snow tires so I went to the dealership in Burlington, VT. They suggested I get a front wheel alignment. I agreed. They then said: "Tech did not perform alignment - when attempting to repack front wheel bearing found bearing wearing into lock nut and spinning on hub. Will require replacement of hub and bearings to cure. Parts have to be ordered 1.5 hrs. $423."

Since I was having a local service shop put in new Bilsteins shocks in (based on comments from this group - they work great!). Thus I asked them to put a replacement hub and bearings in. The bottom line is that 3 mechanics there said there was nothing wrong - and they did the front end alignment.

I then called the Nissan hot line. They were nice, but did not do anything.

I also talked to the service manager at the dealership. He said: 1) only "real Nissan dealers" were trained well enough to determine the problem and 2) this group (Xterra Owners Club) knows nothing when it comes to stocks or anything else since we are not trained by Nissan. Since I did not trust his dealership I said I would take to another "real Nissan dealer" for an opinion.

I took it to another Nissan dealer yesterday. He said front wheel alignments are difficult to do on an Xterra and all sorts of shops have all sorts of excuses for not being able to do them. He also did everything needed to check the hub and bearings - including taking the wheels off and test driving. His conclusion was that their was absolutely no problem.

My question is what do I do now. Talk to the owner? Call the attorney general? Call the Better Business Bureau? Call the Nissan complaint line again?

Thanks. Rick

#93145 - 18/03/03 07:31 AM Re: What to do?
Silent Thunder Offline

Loc: 297 feet up (Los Angeles)
Quote:
Originally posted by shiesl:
I also talked to the service manager at the dealership. He said: 1) only "real Nissan dealers" were trained well enough to determine the problem and 2) this group (Xterra Owners Club) knows nothing when it comes to stocks or anything else since we are not trained by Nissan.
Nissan dealership service is the worst - at least here in California. Those retards don't know a damn thing. Whoever said that to you is also a retard.

Quote:

I took it to another Nissan dealer yesterday. He said front wheel alignments are difficult to do on an Xterra and all sorts of shops have all sorts of excuses for not being able to do them. He also did everything needed to check the hub and bearings - including taking the wheels off and test driving. His conclusion was that their was absolutely no problem.

My question is what do I do now. Talk to the owner? Call the attorney general? Call the Better Business Bureau? Call the Nissan complaint line again?
I would tell you to find an alignment shop you trust (or comes recommended) and see what they diagnosis before you do anything.

I went through 4 different dealerships with my brand new X. Those retards couldn't fix my alignment problems. It took my time and my money to get it corrected. (I do offer my apologies to any member here that is a Nissan tech; my personal experience has done nothing be leave a bad taste in my mouth...)

Good luck Rick but be ready to not get any help from Nissan.

#93146 - 18/03/03 08:07 PM Re: What to do?
shiesl Offline

Loc: Lincoln, VT, USA
Silent Thunder -

Thanks for the information. It's always nice to know one is not alone. I think my main concern is that the dealership may be doing repairs that are not necessary which to me is a very scary thought. Rick

#93147 - 19/03/03 12:40 PM Re: What to do?
Hunter's X Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Quote:
He also did everything needed to check the hub and bearings - including taking the wheels off and test driving.
No wheels? That's one test drive I'd like to see!

Hunter wink

#93148 - 19/03/03 02:10 PM Re: What to do?
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Quote:
I also talked to the service manager at the dealership. He said: 1) only "real Nissan dealers" were trained well enough to determine the problem and 2) this group (Xterra Owners Club) knows nothing when it comes to stocks or anything else since we are not trained by Nissan.
Thanks. Rick
HAHAHAHA!!!! [LOL]
Take away the FSM's and they know shit... laugh

#93149 - 19/03/03 03:37 PM Re: What to do?
Silent Thunder Offline

Loc: 297 feet up (Los Angeles)
Quote:
I think my main concern is that the dealership may be doing repairs that are not necessary...
Repairs that are not necessary? Maybe I don't understand what your trying to say but if something needs to be "repaired" then it should be done.

IMHO, I think getting an alignment is something that should be done yearly with an Xterra if not more often than that. Granted, I wouldn't recommend any Nissan dealership here in So Cal but you may find one. If not, as stated above, find a tire and alignment shop to do it for you.

#93150 - 19/03/03 07:12 PM Re: What to do?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Did you ask them to repack your bearings? You don't mention it other than they said they found the problem while repacking it. Repacking the bearings is not part of an alignment and it's a pretty big and expensive job so i don't see the relatioship unless they found the bearing loose on the alignment rack and THEN took the bearing apart for a look see?

#93151 - 13/05/03 01:35 AM Re: What to do?
snowbro80 Offline

Loc: Everett, Washington
I apologize in advance - What is an FSM? Service Manual?

#93152 - 13/05/03 02:06 PM Re: What to do?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Yup, a.k.a. ESM when on CD.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#93153 - 25/05/03 08:23 AM Re: What to do?
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I think you have to atleast call the better business bureau! I would call Nissan also and tell them! Even if they don't do anything it is worth the try to stop others from getting screwed over. That really pisses me off! Nissan service managers are always fucking assholes!!!

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal