Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#93729 - 16/05/02 05:48 PM Too Much Oil Change - Falore Nissan Sunnyvale
Burnszilla Offline

Loc: Los Gatos, California
Took the X in for it's second oil change to Falore Nissan Sunnyvale, CA this morning. I brought my own Lubrication Engineers oil (4 - 1 quart bottles) and K&N oil filter.

After an hour of waiting (for Nissan's 30 minute oil change or free) I paid the $13, went into the Xterra to look for the extra 1/2 quart of oil..(for next time).
It wasn't there! So, I asked the oil change mechanic where it was. He said he put the whole 4 quarts in the engine!! I said it only takes 3.5 qts. He went to the service manager to check the amounts.. The service manager made him drain .5 qts. He also said that the extra oil would cause the oil to froth in the engine and not lubricate it properly.

I walked back in to the service office and the customer service guy was surprised why I was still there. I said they put too much oil in my engine and they're draining it now.. "Looks like you owe me a free oil change!" He wrote me up a coupon for a free oil change.

Oil change total time 1.5 hours.

NOTE: Nissan 30 minutes or free oil change small print states that the 30 minutes is the time the vehicle spends in the service bay.. not from point of drop off and pickup.. how misleading!

It would be nice if the oil change guys at this Nissan actually knew the amounts of oil that went into each Nissan vehicle... Imagine how many other Xterras this mechanic has damaged! [Freak]

#93730 - 16/05/02 06:20 PM Re: Too Much Oil Change - Falore Nissan Sunnyvale
XSAL Offline

Loc: 94043 -> 19355
Yep. That would be a good reason to start changing the oil by yourself. wink

#93731 - 16/05/02 06:21 PM Re: Too Much Oil Change - Falore Nissan Sunnyvale
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Burnszilla:
NOTE: Nissan 30 minutes or free oil change small print states that the 30 minutes is the time the vehicle spends in the service bay.. not from point of drop off and pickup.. how misleading!
Yup. The funniest part is the service mailer I always get from Stevens Creek Nissan that mentions the Express Service 30 with "Performed in 30 minutes or less!*" Note the asterisk. The thing is, nowhere on the entire mailer is there an explanation for the asterisk. I guess it's really fine print, eh? [Huh?] Though I have noticed that every time I've taken my truck over there, they ask me if I understand the 30 minutes starts after the truck enters the service bay.

Quote:
It would be nice if the oil change guys at this Nissan actually knew the amounts of oil that went into each Nissan vehicle... Imagine how many other Xterras this mechanic has damaged! [Freak]
At least they're better the local Jiffy Lubes - now, those guys are really scary.

#93732 - 17/05/02 06:28 AM Re: Too Much Oil Change - Falore Nissan Sunnyvale
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
I've had that 30 minute issue myself... This last time, especially. I was there over an hour! The guy did say beforehand, "you'll have to give me a little extra time today, I've got a rush job." I chuckled, said "sure" and that was that. I wasn't going to bitch about it...

But what I'm curious about is - does that 30 minute rule apply to people that have made service appointments, or does it apply to "walk-ins" as well? My dealer's sign lacks the little asterisk...

#93733 - 17/05/02 11:28 AM Re: Too Much Oil Change - Falore Nissan Sunnyvale
bjdean16 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
I just want to make sure I understand the 3.5 quart thing. The nissan X only requires 3.5 quarts of oil when also replacing the filter? If this is correct then I assume the the dipstick will show full with the 3.5 quarts of oil in the engine. Do they not check the dipstick at this dealer? I change my own oil and haven't really paid much attention to how much it take as I use the 5 qt. bottles, I just put some in and check the dipstick, when it reads full I stop.

#93734 - 17/05/02 03:47 PM Re: Too Much Oil Change - Falore Nissan Sunnyvale
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
I guess I'm lucky. If I have an 11 a.m. appointment, I park in the back at 11, hand over my key and drive away again by 11:30.

Johnson Nissan, Kingston, NY

#93735 - 17/05/02 04:09 PM Re: Too Much Oil Change - Falore Nissan Sunnyvale
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
But what I'm curious about is - does that 30 minute rule apply to people that have made service appointments, or does it apply to "walk-ins" as well? My dealer's sign lacks the little asterisk...
It is my understanding that the Express Service is only done by appointment. If you are a walk-in, it's considered just a "regular oil change" and you get to wait longer. At least, that's the policy at Stevens Creek Nissan. My dad told me the last time he went to Falore (the dealership that Burnszilla mentioned in his initial post), they informed him that they weren't even doing anymore walk-in oil changes - period. I don't know why he goes there, anyhow, since it's about 3 miles from his house while Stevens Creek Nissan is only 3 blocks.

#93736 - 17/05/02 05:23 PM Re: Too Much Oil Change - Falore Nissan Sunnyvale
sjstremb Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
I have found that by the time I wait in line, deal with all the paperwork and drive home, I could have done the job way quicker, and not have to deal with the worry of over tightened filters or over/underfilled oil. I use the dealership only when its too cold or rainy to change my own.

My local town also has free oil recycling, so I just save up old washing machine soap containers and store it in there.

#93737 - 18/05/02 08:19 PM Re: Too Much Oil Change - Falore Nissan Sunnyvale
capelli Offline

Loc: longview texas
the best way to avoid all the problems is change your own oil

#93738 - 23/05/02 04:43 AM Re: Too Much Oil Change - Falore Nissan Sunnyvale
Lawdawg Offline

Loc: Naples, Fl.
Changing your own oil is always the way to go; however if you leave at a condominium like I do you cannot work on your vehicle. So, I really do not have a choice. I always remind the quick-lube guys that the Xterra takes 3.5 quarts. They tend to argue, “We've been doing this for years, we always put 4 to 5 quarts in, isn't it just like the Pathfinder…”

#93739 - 19/06/02 11:03 AM Re: Too Much Oil Change - Falore Nissan Sunnyvale
rob in Austin Offline

Loc: the womb of an angry jackal
Lucky for you. Although I'll have to double-check, I'm fairly certain my extra half-quart of oil was all over my fucking door panel, steering wheel and carpet.

And my next oil change will be free though I might be scared to go back. As I questioned the cashier the terms of the "30-minute guarantee" the service advisor walked up and said just give it to him, we took way too long. He then went out and cleaned up the oil from my ride.

Trust me kids....it's a little different at the Mercedes dealership. wink

#93740 - 25/06/02 02:57 PM Re: Too Much Oil Change - Falore Nissan Sunnyvale
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rob in Austin:
Lucky for you. Although I'll have to double-check, I'm fairly certain my extra half-quart of oil was all over my fucking door panel, steering wheel and carpet.
Was that in Austin or Santa Fe?

Which dealership in Austin?

#93741 - 25/06/02 08:18 PM Re: Too Much Oil Change - Falore Nissan Sunnyvale
rob in Austin Offline

Loc: the womb of an angry jackal
Yes, A-Town.

The one about 1 mile from my pad - Maxwell (north), I believe.

It was a bad day for them and the service dude apologized...but they stank.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal