Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#94273 - 12/06/02 02:46 PM Beware Sutherlin Nissan, Merritt Island
RabidRaider Offline

Loc: Palm Bay, Florida
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I, like many others here, have had problems with my X pulling to the right since the day I bought it. I took it in a couple of days after I bought it, they looked at, and then informed me that it was normal. Around 6,000 miles I started to notice inconsistant tire wear on the inside of the drivers side front tire. I rotated the tires and returned to the dealer who assured me that my truck was not out of alignment. I noticed during an oil cahange the other day (16K miles) that the drivers side front tire has threads showing on the extreme inside (about a 2" strip around the perimeter of the tire). I returned to the dealership today and the service manager immediately told me that the truck was out of the 12K alignment warranty (even though I had been there twice when the warranty was still effective) and that he wasn't going to fix it for free. I argued with him for a few minutes and he agreed that he would look at it to see if there were any problems that would be covered by warranty. Lo and behold, to my surprise, one of his service reps hands me a $39.95 bill to sign before I even gave him the keys. I asked the service manager what this bill was all about and he told me that Florida law requires him to give me an bill for repairs before looking at my vehicle. I told him that this was unacceptable and asked to see his supervisor. I meet with the general manager who immediately puts on his best salesmans smile, tells me that my name sounds familiar (BS I'm sure but I have bought a couple of vehicles from them) and takes me to his office. He tells me that he will "help" me out by giving me a free alignment if I buy two new tire from him @ $130 a pop plus M&B. The service manager then chimes in with "I've never heard of any problems with the Xterra alignment, it is very stout". Immediately after saying this the general manager says "hitting any little bump can knock it out of alignment" thereby contridicting themselves. Anyways, the GM asks me what I expect and I told him that I expected them to fix my alignment and to replace the tires that the faulty alignment had damaged. Keep in mind that I had been to the dealer twice before for the problem and they said that nothing was wrong. Now, are you sitting down? The GM said to me that I was being unreasonable and obnoxious!! Can you believe that shit? I never raised my voice to him, never accused him of being the swindler that he his. All I told him was that I felt the problem was on Nissan's end and that I wanted them to fix it accordingly. I noticed that his attitude changed when I brought him to XOC and showed him all the threads pertaining to the X having alignment problems or pulling to the right. I couldn't believe the prick called me names!! Well, I just wanted to get your opinion on any actions I may be able to take. I have already filed a complaint with the BBB and plan on filing a small claims suit.

#94274 - 12/06/02 04:52 PM Re: Beware Sutherlin Nissan, Merritt Island
Staubers Offline

Loc: Summerville SC
Your in for a long haul, but, as long as you can show that you brought this to their attention before, you will prevail. Most dealers are scammers IMHO, but bad publicity can usually make them reconsider their initial response. Good luck.

#94275 - 12/06/02 04:53 PM Re: Beware Sutherlin Nissan, Merritt Island
xterrapin Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Raider-
If you have been to the dealer for the same problem in the past, ask them to check your history. Doing so should be able to prove that this has been a consistent problem with your vehicle and justify the service managers abilty to "goodwill" an alignment.
Have you had any service work done there before (excluding warranty)? Did you buy it there? Have you bought other vehicles there?
Scrap the "legal action" threats, that will get you NOWHERE. BBB won't do much either.
btw...move this thread to the "Dealerships" forum and finally...why don't you just bring it to my dealer. We always take care of XOCers.
What do you expect the dealer to do, best case scenario? I can probably tell you how to get it.

#94276 - 12/06/02 05:06 PM Re: Beware Sutherlin Nissan, Merritt Island
RabidRaider Offline

Xterrapin, believe me, I asked them to check my history and they told me that they couldn't do anything about it because it was out of the 12k alignment warranty. I took it to Sutherlin because that is where I bought it (as well as a 99 Frontier). It is no threat that I am taking them to court and they don't even know about it yet. The reason for this is because it is the only recourse for the little man. I stated what I wanted the dealer to do in my original post. IMHO this thread belongs here because it is a problem and an annoyance and since I moderate this forum I can keep an eye on the responses.
Staubers, you are absolutely correct. Most dealers are scammers who will promise you the world until they get your hard earned cash then not stand behind thier product.

#94277 - 12/06/02 05:09 PM Re: Beware Sutherlin Nissan, Merritt Island
altima Offline

Loc: Michigan
Every dealership is like that, doen't matter where you go. I had that same problem with my 2001 ram. I had it in the shop 12 times and still couldn't fix it. Lemon law is a joke. I did the arbitration thing, thats a joke too, the GM, SM, agreed that there was a problem and it could not be fixed, and the arbitrator still denied me. Don't except a extended warranty for the problem because once you do you cannot do the lemon law. Lemon law has alot of grey areas people don't know about. BBB good way to go.. Hope everything turns out okay!

#94278 - 12/06/02 06:24 PM Re: Beware Sutherlin Nissan, Merritt Island
xterrapin Offline

Sorry Raider, if you took offense to my response; that was not my intention. My advice would be to go through all of the proper channels first. File a complaint with Nissan, give it at least ten business days before returning to the dealer, after which; go back. Call a day or two ahead of time and schedule an appointment to meet (again) with the Service Manager. Upon meeting with the manager simply state the facts. You have purchased two vehicles from them, you have returned for numerous services on most of those vehicles and you have been back (prior to the expiration of your adjustment warranty) with the same complaint that you are once again returning for. Have him explain to you why it is no longer covered, other than the cop out excuse, "It's beyond the adjustment warranty". Remind him that he is given a certain amount, per month, towards "good will" warranty claims. If you really wanted to pull a trump card, remind him that as a Nissan dealer he cannot turn you away or refuse to repair your vehicle (under warranty). Tell him you will return for every little screw, clip and frivilous warranty claim and give a negative survey every single time. Make a deal with him, tell him you'll give him a good survey at least once a year or a bad one every time you are there (which could be as frequent as you want). It's kinda' dirty trick but it will work.
Bottom line, it wont kill him to "goodwill" the alignment and eat the tires (thats why they offered to do the alignment if you bought the tires, he didn't wanna' eat em'). Dealers spend thousands of dollars every month to attract new customers. How much do they actually spend to keep the ones they've already got? He sounds like an "old school" manager to me.

btw..."altima"-
Every dealer is not like that, regardless of where you go!

#94279 - 12/06/02 06:42 PM Re: Beware Sutherlin Nissan, Merritt Island
RabidRaider Offline

I wasn't offended at all Xterrapin, no hard feelings here man. I just want my truck fixed. Thanks for the pointers but to be honest with you when the GM, John Theders, resorted to calling me unreasonable and obnoxious well that just stepped over the line with me. It is my opinion that this problem should have been fixed the first time and that since it wasn't the alignment should be fixed and tires should be replaced without question. I reminded them SEVERAL times that I had been there twice before for the same problem and that I had bought two vehicles from them. They don't give a crap...I've already bought. I am tired of the slick talking salesman promising outstanding service when all the while they have NO intention of standing behind their product and damn it I'm sick and tired of it and I'm not going to stand for it anymore. To return to the dealer again would be a waste of time, gas and effort. Perhaps Mr. Erdman would be interested in how his managers treat the people that give him repeat business.

#94280 - 13/06/02 03:47 AM Re: Beware Sutherlin Nissan, Merritt Island
xterrapin Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RabidRaider:
Perhaps Mr. Erdman would be interested in how his managers treat the people that give him repeat business.
Good idea! You would be surprised at the power of a letter. You joining us on the 4th?

#94281 - 13/06/02 04:55 AM Re: Beware Sutherlin Nissan, Merritt Island
microsugrmag Offline

Loc: Rochester, NY
Question for the collective:
What do the service bulletins on the nhtsa website mean?
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/
There is one for the 2002 X regarding the truck pulling to the right during braking.
I did not search the '00 and '01 X. I have been getting similar roundabout answers from two seperate dealerships regarding the truck pulling to the right.
TIA!

#94282 - 14/06/02 07:26 PM Re: Beware Sutherlin Nissan, Merritt Island
RabidRaider Offline

They actually sent me a postcard today stating, and I quote, "We at Sutherlin hope that your service experience was positive, we strive to make every service a pleasent one no matter what is required" (loosley quoted but you get the point)...frigging morons.

#94283 - 17/06/02 08:11 AM Re: Beware Sutherlin Nissan, Merritt Island
BennyLen Offline

Loc: Huntsville, AL
I also have not been impressed with the service at Sutherlin. My last "problem" I wanted them to fix was paint peeling on the step rails. And it was "peeling", with flakes very apparent. Anyway they claim it was corrosion and refused to fix it. I decided it wasn't worth my time to pursue since I was getting new step rails anyway (which I have still to get, but that's my lazy butts problem). Anyway, since my warranty is out (58k) I have no intent to return to them unless I have some serious problem that I think only a Dealership can fix.

There have been other discussions here about Sutherlin on Merritt Island. Good luck dealing with them and of course keep us updated.

#94284 - 17/06/02 05:24 PM Re: Beware Sutherlin Nissan, Merritt Island
Pathfinder_1988 Offline

Loc: Deltona, Florida
Benny, GO BACK! Go back to the dealer. If they said it is corrosion (THIER WORDS) then you are covered most probably by the typical 10 year, 100,000 mile Corrosion/rust protection plan. Almost EVERY make and model I believe is REQUIRED to cover you for 10/100 on any condition where corrosion or rust is a factor.

#94285 - 17/06/02 05:55 PM Re: Beware Sutherlin Nissan, Merritt Island
xterrapin Offline

Bill-
You are correct, to an extent. Nissan will only cover rust in the event of perforation. They make you wait until it rusts THROUGH the panel before covering it under warranty. Trust me, I do the preliminary inspections on potential corrosion warranty claims. Personally, I think the policy is BS cause by the time it perforates the panel; you're probably outside of the warranty coverage.

#94286 - 18/06/02 07:32 AM Re: Beware Sutherlin Nissan, Merritt Island
BennyLen Offline

Loc: Huntsville, AL
That perforation clause is the reason I gave up. With paint flaking it obviously isn't perforation and therefore they wouldn't cover it. At the same time I had them looking at the rust underneath, over the rear wheels, that all Xterras have and that has been discussed much on here. I got the same response, "It's only superficial surface rust and therefore not covered by the rust warranty". Too bad they aren't like some other dealers who went the extra mile to do some sanding and repaint it.

#94287 - 18/06/02 06:47 PM Re: Beware Sutherlin Nissan, Merritt Island
Gator Saver Offline

Loc: Lakeland, FL
so RabidRaider are you going to be at our 4th party ??
Member number #112 Aug. 20, 2000

#94288 - 18/06/02 07:07 PM Re: Beware Sutherlin Nissan, Merritt Island
RabidRaider Offline

I'm gonna try like hell if I can get the day off. I'd just hate to commit and then be a no show.

#94289 - 12/07/02 03:03 AM Re: Beware Sutherlin Nissan, Merritt Island
RabidRaider Offline

Bump, just don't want anyone to forget what a fucking sham Sutherlin runs. wink

#94290 - 12/07/02 01:26 PM Re: Beware Sutherlin Nissan, Merritt Island
Bobby_X Offline

Lets keep this bumped. That is some good-ass advice xterrapin gave, about reminding the dealer they get the goodwill money, and about the every little screw and problem return with the negative survey card.

#94291 - 14/07/02 10:21 AM Re: Beware Sutherlin Nissan, Merritt Island
Lawdawg Offline

Loc: Naples, Fl.
Beware of Sutherlin no matter where you are. The one in Ft. Myers Florida is not any better than the one you have been dealing with. When I was looking to buy an Xterra I stopped by and talked to a salesman. After about two minutes I realized he was full of horse poop. I already had my suspicions he just confirmed them. I bought mine from Naples Nissan and the service has been above average.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal