Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 190 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#96182 - 26/01/03 01:24 PM 5 spd. vs. auto
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
Which do you guys think is better and why? And if auto is better, why are most Jeeps manual? Just wondering... confused (I did a search in 4WD and Advanced, but found no related posts)

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#96183 - 26/01/03 09:02 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Hey Austin, San Antonio here, I got the V-6, 5 speed tranny im my Xterra and I love every minute of it, It just enables you to control your own gears instead of the gears controlling you, if you need to pass someone up you could just downshift and let it fly, manuel driving is the way to go, plus better gas mileage.

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#96184 - 26/01/03 09:07 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
Excelagator Offline

Loc: Wisconsin...The show me how to...
I would have gotten a stick, but I what to pull a
boat in the future. The stick can pull up to 3500 Lbs. The auto will pull up to 5000 Lbs. I think wheelin with auto is easier than stick in certain situations. IMO Gator

#96185 - 26/01/03 09:21 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
coferj Offline

Loc: Montgomery, AL
The stick will get better gas mileage...I usually got about 17 mpg, whereas I read most auto's get a little less.

#96186 - 26/01/03 09:52 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Most Jeeps are 4 speed automatics. All Toyota 4Runners are now automatics. Most 2003 Xterras are automatic. In the next few years you will not be able to find a 5 speed, unless it's a sports car.

I like a manual transmission, but would prefer a 5 speed for descending, and an auto for ascending.

Sadly, Americans don't know how to drive, so they prefer an automatic. You're going to have to get used to it because soon it will be your only option.

#96187 - 26/01/03 11:46 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
CCX Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
I like a manual transmission, but would prefer a 5 speed for descending, and an auto for ascending.
Yep, give I'll take my auto for steep climbs over a manual any day. I've tried both ways, 12 years with 5 speed 4Runner (I figure that's over 200,000 shifts) and now over 3 years with my auto X. Going down steep inclines, well at least I can see where I'm sliding. laugh
Both are OK off road, just depends how lazy you are and also how comfortable you would be with starting, stopping and starting again on very steep climbs with a clutch.

-Chris

#96188 - 27/01/03 07:57 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
DessertMulisha Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca.
Quote:
Most Jeeps are 4 speed automatics. All Toyota 4Runners are now automatics. Most 2003 Xterras are automatic. In the next few years you will not be able to find a 5 speed, unless it's a sports car. You're going to have to get used to it because soon it will be your only option.
I guess I'm a little confused as to why manufacturers are switching over to an all-automatic production, and as to what makes you think this....

#96189 - 27/01/03 08:38 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
although there are people who will argue for/against 5-speed being better for offroad, there is no argument what makes a better grocery-getter/mall-cruiser: automatic. and as it seems to be, that's waht alot of suv's and trucks are being used for nowadays. the car companies are building suv's more and more for street comfort (ifs), and more like cars.
look at luxury "suv's". the fact that there's a good market for those overpriced vehicles shows how people don't even want an suv for it's true purpose anymore.
i mean even sports cars come in auto. i'm suprised we even see manual suv's anymore.
i'm quite tired so i hope that made sense...

#96190 - 27/01/03 08:57 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by DessertMulisha:
I guess I'm a little confused as to why manufacturers are switching over to an all-automatic production, and as to what makes you think this....
Americans are lazy and unskilled when it comes to driving. They want it as easy as can be, so they can talk on the phone and apply makeup while driving.

Most people don't even know how to drive a 5 speed... I've seen posts from Xterra owners here on XOC who had to buy an auto because their significant other couldn't drive a stick, that truly frightens me.

Look at Toyota, no more 5 speed 4Runners. Look at Nissan, the Xterra is automatic only if you want a supercharger, or other options. Look at BMW and Porsche, all their transmissions are going to sport automatics.

In ten years you will not be able to find a car with a manual tranny anywhere.

#96191 - 29/01/03 06:06 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
Quote:
Most Jeeps are 4 speed automatics.
I'm referring to Wranglers and CJs and such... very difficult to find an auto Wrangler and did they even make auto CJs? I drive a 5 and I love it... my ex couldn't shift a gear to save her life(wasted the tranny in my Celica)... just wondering if it has any additional off-road benefits (because the gas mileage still sucks!!!)...

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#96192 - 29/01/03 07:12 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
ClaptoVaughn Offline

in terms of offroading, having a manual allows me to control my speed more than an auto would. alot of times i'm so distracted with trying to manuever around and watch the terrain i realize i'm reving my gear slightly too high. if this had been an auto i would have simply continued to accelerate. and when you over-gas on rocky/gravel/slippery terrain, it could mean trouble.
and when i start a descent i just keep it in first gear and it keeps me at a slow speed without having to brake like an automatic would.

#96193 - 29/01/03 07:16 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
panhandleX Offline

Loc: Panama City, FL
Viva La Manual tranny!!!

#96194 - 29/01/03 07:39 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Quote:
Most Jeeps are 4 speed automatics. All Toyota 4Runners are now automatics. Most 2003 Xterras are automatic. In the next few years you will not be able to find a 5 speed, unless it's a sports car.

Sadly, Americans don't know how to drive, so they prefer an automatic. You're going to have to get used to it because soon it will be your only option.
Total Agreement!

-Rick

#96195 - 30/01/03 01:04 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
Xtracurricular Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Since you were asking about the Jeep (pronounced Heep in spanish, right?) thing, I'll go there...
Jeep TJ, CJ, XJ, YJs all have shorter wheel bases than most other vehicles. A jeep auto transmission is longer than their manual, especially the 4 speed auto. Jeeps have problems with drivetrain vibration due to their use of a slip yoke on the rear drive shaft. Their shorter wheelbase compounds this. Most jeepers require a slip yoke elimination kit and new longer CV style drive shaft to fix the vibrations after even a mild lift. Their newer vehicles tend to be worse for some reason. NOW, would you pick a 3 speed auto over a 5 speed manual for your X? that is the option most jeepers had (save for the cherokee XJ) befor they came out with the new Rubicon edition. BTW the rubicon comes equiped with a factory slip yoke eliminator and CV style driveshaft, so they could afford to install the longer 4 speed auto.
Even my previous XJ (yes I'm a convert) drove like crap on the road, and it was a 2000 model. When I first drove my '86 CJ-7, I took it strait to an alignment shop to find out why it wouldn't stay pointed in any direction even at low speeds. After they told me it was normal for a jeep, and I learned to drive it...don't look at the radio for more than a second...I just got used to it. What's the point? The point is most jeepers are looking for that rudamentary jeep feel in the older ones, and an auto doesn't fit into that mold well. Note to flamers, I said MOST not ALL.
People are lazy
And this is not specific to jeeps...The auto makes it easier to climb, and harder to control the descent...what's your preference?

#96196 - 30/01/03 01:54 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
Aero Steve Offline

Loc: Land of OZ - Home of the Jayha...
Quote:
Originally posted by austinbrtndr:
...and did they even make auto CJs? ...
'76-79 Jeep offered the GM TH400 automatic with the Quadra-Trac full time 4 wheel drive system in the CJ-7. It was too long for a CJ-5. Some guys have managed to squeeze a TF350 into a CJ-5, it's about 4 inches shorter than the TH400.

#96197 - 05/02/03 12:33 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
c1natra Offline

Loc: Telluride, Colorado
I wanted a stick so bad for my new XE, but a 3 week search here in Colorado yielded only one, and it didn't have the power package I wanted. They're just not making them, not in any numbers. So I caved and got the auto. I grew up on a 5 speed and, while I love my new truck, every time I slip the tranny into 'D' a little part of me dies.

#96198 - 07/02/03 06:51 AM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
hello,
my xterra is a manual tranny. on a lot of over 120 there were only 7 manuals. for most 4 wheeling it has to be a manual. you pick the gear not a computer that is run by a 10 cent fuse, better reliability should something go wrong and you have the ability to limp home if needed. i had a 98 ranger and put 5 tryannys in it the damn thing (ford engineering). one dumped on me in the mountains and i was screwed. totally locked up couldnt even turn it on. with a manual shove it into neutral and hope you have a good tow strap. the manual offers so much more versatility and reliabilty, not to mention better gas mileage, fun to drive and heck its about a thousand bucks cheaper thats a lift or near gears!!!! bottom line pick what you want and study the way you drive and buy what will make you happy. happy driving.

Thomas Jefferson

#96199 - 07/02/03 07:28 AM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
rb42 Offline

Loc: McKinney
Pardon my injections, but in general it seems that Xterras with Auto get better gas mileage for highway use. At least that's what everyone seems to be posting elsewhere in the forum.

As far as computer's not being reliable... well I just haven't seen that trend. Yes, I know there are people with horror stories, but I definitely believe that if it wasn't more reliable and cheaper, we wouldn't be seeing OEM's going that way.

As far as loosing manual control however, I'm seeing a trend of more and more manually controlled automatics popping up. Yes, they are auto, but the tech to make them act like manuals is really pretty simple. For a 4l60e (GM) you can get a manual shifter interface for less than $300, and it just plugs into the harness.

What I would really really like to see is the Nissan CVT built for 4x4 use. Now, instead of just having a few low end gear combos for offroad use, you have an infinite set of ratio's (yes with boundaries but we know how to push those out with gear sets and such), less clutch hassle, and you would still get excellent efficiency on the roads.

You could use that supercharged engine in an optimum range if the gearing range was wide enough. I'm not sure it would weigh too much more than a manual either. The Murano's tranny is supposedly much lighter and less complex - fewer moving parts, so even when you beef it up for 4x4 use, you might get the same weight/size as a normal tranny.

Hopefully we'll see that coming down the pipe really soon. smile

#96200 - 07/02/03 08:19 AM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
trwinship Offline

Loc: Gahanna, OH, USA
Sorry, don't mean to be the spell check idiot, but hope you meant "interjection".

#96201 - 08/02/03 12:46 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
Xtracurricular Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
gas mileage auto vs manual...

Same transfer case ration, same differential ratio, different final drive ratio...

Manual tranny is around 1.0, the auto is around .80. Can you see the difference on the highway in top gear on both vehicles? The auto will turn slower and thus get better gas mileage. Now two things...I'm remembering these final drive numbers from my head due to the wife throwing my info out (damn neat freaks), secondly this applies to on the highway specifically.

In town I would expect the manual to get better mileage as it compensates with gears rather than slipping the torque converter.

As far as the "10 cent fuse", how many 6 cent bolts are holding your transfer case together? Maybe you could hold it together better manually.

Oh and BTW, assuming the post is readable, tdis aint no spellin bee so settle down beavis. One can inject or interject an opinion, its a matter of symantics.

#96202 - 08/02/03 02:28 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by ttyner:
i had a 98 ranger and put 5 tryannys in it the damn thing (ford engineering). one dumped on me in the mountains and i was screwed. totally locked up couldnt even turn it on.
I know I am stating an opinion that I think is a fact, but I would like to rephrase your comment and say - American engineering and not just Ford engineering. American cars: built to make money for service departments and to last (usually) under 100,000 miles so you can go and buy another one as soon as possible! American cars used to be synomonous with quality engineering, now they are just trying to keep up with the quality/price ratio of foreign cars....sad

#96203 - 12/02/03 04:06 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
Hill Offline

Loc: Hawaii
The biggest reason I went with an automatic is resale value. With a five speed you're limiting the potential amount of buyers (love the X but the wife can't drive a standard!)when it comes time to sell. Just my 02 cents.

Brian

#96204 - 12/02/03 04:29 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
Herbie_53 Offline

Loc: Bowie, MD
I suppose all of these are excellent reasons to opt for one trans. vs. the other.

For me - I just got tired of shifting in traffic!!

The X is my first auto outside of company cars.

#96205 - 12/02/03 06:06 PM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
ClaptoVaughn Offline

that example about resale value is interesting. i hadn't thought of that before. but i can't imagine selling my x anytime soon so i don't really care about that. i'm planning on keeping my xterra until my first son runs it to the ground. i'm not even married yet so you can see it'll be along time.
i find manual to be convenient for offroading, as for the street, i think it depends on the person. i got manual and have no regrets whatsoever.

#96206 - 14/02/03 11:12 AM Re: 5 spd. vs. auto
CamoDatsun Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Automatic accepts larger tires easier...the built in slip makes the change less harsh on driveline components.

Automatic is a little easier on the drivetrain...also due to the inherent slip.

Automatic is easier to drive onroad and offroad ( with stock gearing and tranfercase ratio )...once you get low crawl ratios with transfercase and gears the manual is easy ( doesn't stall as easy on climbs with low low gearing ).

Stock vs Stock an automatic will have a lower crarl ratio ( 1.5 to 2.0 x the manual crawl ratio ).

Manuals can be push started if the starter goes south...automatic you are usually stuck.

Manuals give a little better wheelspeed control...Autos slip can throw you off a little.

Manual will still usally go into a gear or two even when they break...Autos will leave you stranded ( some have a limp home mode but it doesn't work in all situations ).

Gear Ratios in Manuals can be changed...Autos are all computer controlled these days and can't be changed ( granny gears for instance ).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal