Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#96303 - 14/11/05 08:55 PM Xterra in the snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just was wondering how the X is the snow. Also how do you shift from 2WD to 4wd when you are driving in the snow. Or what is consisdered safe when shifting. Should I always keep the front hubs locked?

#96304 - 14/11/05 10:00 PM Re: Xterra in the snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do you have manual hubs or automatic? If they're manual then you might want to keep them locked all winter. If they're automatic, don't worry about it. As for shifting into 4hi from 2hi, look @ the top thread in this forum...there's a video...and if you flip the driver's side sun visor down, it tells you how, or the owners manual.

#96305 - 15/11/05 12:49 AM Re: Xterra in the snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the manual shifting system this is my. I'm used to the auto 4wd in a Jimmy I owned previously you pushed a button and your ready to go.. I already know how to shift back and forth on the manual.
So you are telling me to keep to hubs lock on a snow covered road? Would it have any effect on the X with the hubs locked? Well besides the gas mileage taking a dump on me.

#96306 - 15/11/05 04:25 AM Re: Xterra in the snow
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
In the '01's, I believe they were ALL auto hubs, so you just shift into 4wd with that little shifter and be done w/it....no hub locking or unlocking manually.

laugh

If you want to do it on the fly, I think upto 45-50 mph is OK for 4 wd Hi from 2 hi.

If gas is a problem, the hub thing is pretty minor, but, you can unlock the auto hub by shifting back to 2 hi, and going backwards about 3-10' before going forwards again.

Hope that helps!

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#96307 - 15/11/05 05:52 AM Re: Xterra in the snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
In the '01's, I believe they were ALL auto hubs, so you just shift into 4wd with that little shifter and be done w/it....no hub locking or unlocking manually.

laugh

If you want to do it on the fly, I think upto 45-50 mph is OK for 4 wd Hi from 2 hi.

If gas is a problem, the hub thing is pretty minor, but, you can unlock the auto hub by shifting back to 2 hi, and going backwards about 3-10' before going forwards again.

Hope that helps!

laugh
hey TJ, if i read it correctly, shifting from 2hi to 4hi up to 45-50mph? i don't think thats recommended for the pre-05's, i think the limit is around 25mph, i have an '01 and i dont like shifting from 2hi to 4hi going any faster than 15mph, usually i'll just slow to a crawl, sink the clutch and pop it into 4wd then continue on, but i've only tried once at around 20mph to go into 4wd and that was the first and only time i've ever had a grind and trouble gettin the T case to engage

and to continue on topic, like others also said your hubs are automatic if your truck was kept stock, all you gotta do is shift into 4hi when you feel the need for it, then reverse direction about 3-10ft to unlock the hubs, if you turn the radio down and listen closely, you'll hear 2 clicks when reversing direction, that would be your hubs unlocking, oh and i live in MA so we get plenty of snow here, and the X is awesome, unless the snow gets very deep i usually keep it in 2wd cool

#96308 - 15/11/05 07:27 AM Re: Xterra in the snow
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:

The manual say up to about 40 km per hour for shifting from 2H to 4H. That would translate to around 25 mph. According to the 2002 manual,going from 4H to 2H can be done at any speed; but I would still use caution when shifting back to 2H on the move.

k_enn

#96309 - 15/11/05 08:20 AM Re: Xterra in the snow
tcdesign Offline

Loc: Hudson, WI
Here's a question. This will be my first winter with the front LSD. Since it is so spool-like, I imagine I won't want to have both front hubs locked if its slippery out. Can I get away with having only one hub locked? That would still allow me to turn, but still have 3 wheel drive right? Enlighten me - the snow is on its way tonight...

#96310 - 15/11/05 08:30 AM Re: Xterra in the snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by tcdesign:
Here's a question. This will be my first winter with the front LSD. Since it is so spool-like, I imagine I won't want to have both front hubs locked if its slippery out. Can I get away with having only one hub locked? That would still allow me to turn, but still have 3 wheel drive right? Enlighten me - the snow is on its way tonight...
tryin to keep it simple (and if i screw up, someone smarter than me correct me please laugh )the front is an open diff, not LSD, i'm assuming on your 00, just like my 01 its an automatic hub, as in, on the hub itself it says AUTOMATIC, which means you dont need to worry about locking the hubs MANUALLY, as in getting out of the truck and clicking them to lock, all you have to do is pull that 4x4 shifter into 4hi and the rest is done for you, the hubs will engage automaticaly after a full turn of the axle (i.e. you move forward, you will feel a clunk, thats your 4x4 engaging) to unlock the hubs, you reverse direction, so if you engage the 4x4 going forward, at a slow roll, take your foot off the gas and shift into 2Hi,then drive backwards for about 5 feet, your hubs are now disengaged, don't get confused with the "locking and unlocking hubs" as meaning, physically getting out to lock them , our 01's don't have that, i hope that helps

#96311 - 15/11/05 08:40 AM Re: Xterra in the snow
tcdesign Offline

Sorry, I should have been more specific - I have the Calmini LSD and Warn manual hubs in the front. I remember talking with Carlton about it, but it was a long time ago and I can't remember exactly what he said.

#96312 - 15/11/05 10:14 AM Re: Xterra in the snow
TJ Offline

The front LSD will make you plow a bit wide on turns, but not spin one tire as easily, etc...

If the snow is patchy, and the left/right may have different traction, one tire is more likely to spin w/o the LSD....if the snow is more homogeneous, the open diff'd front will most likely turn the tires together anyway.

So - If straight ahead on patchy traction is wanted, lock the hubs.

If sharp turns on bad traction is needed, unlock the hubs, etc.

laugh

Enjoy!

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

#96313 - 15/11/05 11:50 AM Re: Xterra in the snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

If I remember on early models you have to be below 25 mph to lock the hubs(engage 4wd) then after they are locked you can go back and forth from 4wd to 2wd at any speed. Changing direction is the only way to unlock the hubs (with the transfer case in 2wd)

#96314 - 15/11/05 12:53 PM Re: Xterra in the snow
TJ Offline

Yeah - to clarify - all that 2wd/4wd on the fly stuff I said was referring to if you already locked the hubs once, and didn't back up yet.

#96315 - 15/11/05 02:50 PM Re: Xterra in the snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

When it snows, I just do this .

laugh

#96316 - 15/11/05 03:04 PM Re: Xterra in the snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you need 4wd, to maintain traction, I would sugest the 45 isn't a safe speed.

If you are going 45 and hit an ice patch, 4wd isn't going to be able to stop your momentum.

#96317 - 15/11/05 05:13 PM Re: Xterra in the snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

also in the 04's i know that when the little 4wd light goes off, then the hubs are unlocked. If the 4wd light doesn't go out, then ur hubs are still locked. This is true for the 04's i know that, but i dunno abou the other models.

#96318 - 15/11/05 06:08 PM Re: Xterra in the snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Xterrarob04:
also in the 04's i know that when the little 4wd light goes off, then the hubs are unlocked. If the 4wd light doesn't go out, then ur hubs are still locked. This is true for the 04's i know that, but i dunno abou the other models.
thats not true with my 01, once i shift out of 4wd back into 2hi, the light goes out once the load is off the t-case and front axle, but the hubs are still locked until i back up

#96319 - 15/11/05 07:52 PM Re: Xterra in the snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

The 4wd light turning off does NOT mean that the hubs are unlocked, it just means that the front drive shaft is being turned by the motor/t-case

#96320 - 16/11/05 12:02 AM Re: Xterra in the snow
Anonymous
Unregistered

Whoa I didn't mean to open a can of worms here! Sorry. LMAO
These vehicles have LSD on the front too? How can I tell? I don't have badge that says its a SE or XE. Or the sticker on the pumkin for the rear. Hmm Iguess I have to jack it up find out.

Is there a site that I can run the Vin and find out the options that my X has?

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

#96321 - 16/11/05 07:03 AM Re: Xterra in the snow
tcdesign Offline

No, these vehiles didn't come with a front LSD from the factory. I installed the Calmini LSD . I also have manual locking hubs. Just to clarify a couple of posts, on pre-2005 models, shifting into 4WD with aoto-locking hubs should be done at speeds under 25 mph. If you're going any faster than that, you will hear and feel a loud clunk - it'll scare you. However, once you're in 4WD, you can shift into and out of 4WD / 2WD at any speed, because the hubs are already locked. If, however, you stop for gas or something and put it in 2WD and then back up, your hubs will unlock, and you will again have to shift into 4WD under 25 mph.

If you have manual hubs, once you lock them in by hand, you can shift into 4WD at any speed, because they will already be locked.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal