Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#96374 - 16/12/02 02:24 PM Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
x_tempore Offline

Loc: Escondido, CA, USA
I know there have been a few threads on recovery points, but I have a few specific questions.

I have an ARB bumper on my 2000 Xterra and have Warn shackles hanging on the front holes. I've heard that the shackles can break the steel on these holes when attached to a tow strap and go flying off. Has anyone actually seen or experienced this happening?

Also, I gave my stock front tow hook to the guy who got my stock bumper. If I want to put on forged steel hooks, which kind do I need, and do I have to do any drilling?

Steve

#96375 - 16/12/02 02:29 PM Re: Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
I have used those holes in the past, but am becoming leary. I bent the crap out of one of them accidentally with my winch, the other side has lost one of the washers on one side. I am thinking about cutting them off, and adding something beefier.

#96376 - 16/12/02 05:29 PM Re: Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
Huey Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by x_tempore:
If I want to put on forged steel hooks, which kind do I need, and do I have to do any drilling?
You want to look for the universal three hole hooks which can be found at your local 4x4 store. They seem to fit with a bit of force (the holes are barely off, but you could file/drill them out). The driver's side is really easy, but the passenger side can be a real pain in the a$$, small fingers/magnets/mice would help on that side.

#96377 - 16/12/02 05:59 PM Re: Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
Axle Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
Another argument for the CALMINI bumper. I've heard plenty of people say not to use the ARB points, that they are only for the hi-lift adapter. With the CALMINI though I asked Steve right before I was about to use it if it was safe to do so. I used them as an anchor for Snoopy to try out his winch. He even had a couple of feet of slack in the winch cable an fell back down the hill a couple of times. No damage to the bumper at all. cool

#96378 - 17/12/02 10:41 AM Re: Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
I know I've seen a pic of an ARB tab ripped right open...

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#96379 - 17/12/02 12:31 PM Re: Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
The one that was ripped open was by MVM. He ripped it trying to do a snatch.

#96380 - 09/01/03 12:52 PM Re: Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
MichaelShaw Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
I have used the towing eyes on my ARB many times, sometimes for a slow tow and sometimes for a yank, and have had no problems, outside of the shackles wearing off the powdercoat on the inside of the eyes. Just use a strap with some stretch to it so the brute force isnt so brute when you start the tow and try to keep the strap as parallel to the axis of the truck as possible (ie not at a 45 degree angle out to the right or left from the eye) and you shouldnt have any problems.

Edit to add: Wow...101st post. And ive only been here for a little over 2 years....

#96381 - 10/01/03 10:35 AM Re: Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
wqbang Offline

Loc: Auburn, WA
I would avoid using those holes for recovery. They are designed specifically for Hi-lift jack use.

#96382 - 29/01/03 07:45 PM Re: Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Quote:
Originally posted by wqbang:
I would avoid using those holes for recovery. They are designed specifically for Hi-lift jack use.
Bryan is right! Go spend $8 for the three hole SteelHorse tow hooks. $3.00 for the Metric fastners if your truck didn't come with a stock tow hook!

-Rick

#96383 - 30/01/03 08:13 AM Re: Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Huey:
Quote:
Originally posted by x_tempore:
[b] If I want to put on forged steel hooks, which kind do I need, and do I have to do any drilling?
You want to look for the universal three hole hooks which can be found at your local 4x4 store. They seem to fit with a bit of force (the holes are barely off, but you could file/drill them out). The driver's side is really easy, but the passenger side can be a real pain in the a$$, small fingers/magnets/mice would help on that side.[/b]
Yah, the drivers side is a PIA. I found that using a length of bailing wire to fish the bolt through the hole (just a couple of wraps to keep it from escaping into the frame) and using the nuts on the underside seemed to work the best. The wire can be pulled off before you tighten everything down.

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#96384 - 09/03/03 06:14 AM Re: Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
JonSL Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Fl - USA
Ok silly question what holes did you use to mount the hooks? I also have an ARB on 2000 and want to add two hooks on the front? What I have been doing in the mean time is to use both holes with a 20ft strap looped accross and feeding my other strap loop thur the middle.

Also has any one thought of renforcing the holes on the ARB? A plasma tourch and .25" stock? The only thought I have on that is the moment created when using ARB holes off direct line of the frame?

A picture is worth, well you know...

#96385 - 09/03/03 08:07 AM Re: Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
NthLJ Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by JonSL:
Ok silly question what holes did you use to mount the hooks? ...
I used the holes in the stock hook mounting position (passenger side). The same holes exist on the other side, but without weld nuts in place (drivers side). *These* (the black ones 7605 @ $11 ea. with hardware) are the hooks I used and they came with hardware. I used the factory bolts on the passenger side.

"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#96386 - 09/03/03 10:31 AM Re: Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
JonSL Offline

I just looked under the truck and it "appears" that there would be little room between the ARB flanges and the factory tow hook mounting holes?

Does the ARB lower flanges do not get in the way of hooking up a strap?

#96387 - 09/03/03 10:41 AM Re: Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
Snoopy Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Axle:
He even had a couple of feet of slack in the winch cable an fell back down the hill a couple of times. No damage to the bumper at all. cool
That's good to know. I was wondering if you were just being nice when you said there was no damage.

#96388 - 09/03/03 11:18 AM Re: Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
NthLJ Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by JonSL:
I just looked under the truck and it "appears" that there would be little room between the ARB flanges and the factory tow hook mounting holes?

Does the ARB lower flanges do not get in the way of hooking up a strap?
Not so far.

#96389 - 10/03/03 11:32 AM Re: Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
Rick L Offline

Loc: Houston
I'm a bit curious - I've not yet tried to use a hi-lift on my ARB. I know they make an adapter with a flat hook and a chain that is designed specifically for the Bull Bar. Just how are the eyes supposed to be used with a hi-lift and where did anybody find info stating that that is their specific purpose? Looks more to me that they were designed for shackles, but I agree that they're a bit wimpy for some of the forces that can result from a healthy yank. I wuz gonna say "healthy snatch" but I didn't want to invite any inappropriate replies [LOL]

#96390 - 15/03/03 05:20 AM Re: Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
JonSL Offline

I order the hooks from the link that was this thread. thanks for the note...

#96391 - 20/03/03 10:19 PM Re: Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
rrdstarr Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick L:
I'm a bit curious - I've not yet tried to use a hi-lift on my ARB. I know they make an adapter with a flat hook and a chain that is designed specifically for the Bull Bar. Just how are the eyes supposed to be used with a hi-lift and where did anybody find info stating that that is their specific purpose? Looks more to me that they were designed for shackles, but I agree that they're a bit wimpy for some of the forces that can result from a healthy yank. I wuz gonna say "healthy snatch" but I didn't want to invite any inappropriate replies [LOL]
Buzzzzz...that is the wrong adapter! You want the ARB adapter made by ARB. It ataches to the place where people hang their shackles. You are thinking of the Hi-lift bumper adapter, the thing with the chain.

-Rick

#96392 - 25/03/03 09:29 PM Re: Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
xterran01 Offline

Loc: Houston
You're absolutely correct, sir. The adapter I was thinking about was the Hi-Lift brand. I haven't seen the ARB one yet. Apologies for being inaccurate.

#96393 - 25/03/03 10:21 PM Re: Shackles on ARB and tow hooks
rrdstarr Offline

Here is what you need "if" you have a ARB. I have one and it works like it is supposed to.
[img]http://store5.yimg.com/I/cruiserconnection_1732_1603387[/img]

-Rick

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal