Quote:
Originally posted by Abiel Guerra:
Another scenario. Here, when rain begins, roads become too slipery, a very slipery thing made of dust, grease and other things is formed and roads get very dangerous. After a time of rain, roads become "washed" and the slipery condition is reduced a lot. So, I guess that at the begining of a rainy day 4wd can be used...
It sounds like the roads turn to mud down there. It's your personal call, if you think that the road is slppery enough to allow the wheels to slip a little you could be ok in having the 4WD on a road, just be sure to take it out when the mud washes off the road.

I do the same thing during the winter, when the road is snow packed (completely covered, even after your wheels go over it), I shift to 4WD. Trafic is usually pretty slow anyway so being below the 25 MPH mark isn't a problem. Then if I reach a long patch of visible pavement just shift it back to 2WD (but leave the hubs locked) and keep driving. Then when the road becomes snowpacked again you can shift to 4WD on the fly.

It's amazing how much 4WD can help in situations like that, othercars are drifting into oncomming traffic but the X rides like its on rails. smile

Xterra101.com