Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97141 - 10/05/02 03:11 PM Rear Tow Loop?
Frostie Offline

Loc: Bakersfield,CA
Ok, I know there is a front tow hook on the 2001 model X. However, is there a standard rear loop to use for emergency towing? It really sucks having to drive in reverse to bail out friends [Uh Oh !]

#97142 - 10/05/02 03:20 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
Carlton McMillan Offline

Loc: MN
The factory tow hitch does a good job

#97143 - 10/05/02 03:21 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
Frostie Offline

So I've heard. Maybe I should have the rest of the gang pitch in for it since it's always their ass I'm saving...hehe

#97144 - 10/05/02 04:14 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
Yup, once you attach a tow hitch, you can then easily attach and remove various hitch receiver shackles or tow hooks to the receiver hitch.

#97145 - 10/05/02 06:10 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
Mr. BOHICA Offline

Loc: Maryland
You can also use the rear shackles in a pinch...

#97146 - 11/05/02 03:42 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Don't use the shackle! You can use the part welded to the frame between the shackle and frame, but don't attach anything to the shackle itself. If it moves, you shouldn't use it.

I got some oversized 5-ton clevises that have worked quite well for me. $15 each, Big Orange brand ordered from Ace Hardware.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#97147 - 11/05/02 05:58 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
IggyB Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Whatever you plan to use as a tow point, just make sure you can get to it after you're stuck. Shacle mount may be strong enough, but if you're sitting on the frame in foot of mud it's difficult to access.

For lack of a custom bumper, trailer hitch is the next best thing.

#97148 - 12/05/02 02:01 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
Mr. BOHICA Offline

Loc: Maryland
OffroadX-
Thanks for the clarification, that's actually what I meant. Actually got the idea from you in another thread...

#97149 - 16/05/02 01:38 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
Frostie Offline

DesertRAT, have you seen any good ones online to browse?

#97150 - 16/05/02 03:27 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
kirby34 Offline

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Frostie:
DesertRAT, have you seen any good ones online to browse?
You could try http://www.recoverygear.com/hardware.html - about halfway down the page is their hitch block for a 2" receiver.

#97151 - 16/05/02 03:40 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
http://www.4x4cyberstore.com/website/towing_02.html
That is where I got my shackle reciever bracket. Cheapest price I found.

and here is another one! http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/WarnWinches3.asp

-Rick

#97152 - 16/05/02 05:14 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by kirby34:
You could try http://www.recoverygear.com/hardware.html - about halfway down the page is their hitch block for a 2" receiver.
You mean this thing...

I've been eyeing this one as well, since I have the factory hitch... Besides, it's bright yellow - how can I resist? laugh

The only thing wrong with it is that the holes are on different sides - the factory hitch' receiver pin goes through sideways... So if you install this particular product, the shackle will sit vertically! Unless, of course, you pop that sucker on a drill press and drill yourself a new set of holes...

#97153 - 16/05/02 05:58 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
Gold Rush Offline

Loc: Franklin, NH
Go to www.cabelas.com and link to the automotive section, then link to "winches and recovery accessories". They have two nice receiver items. One is a shackle made by Warn for $39.99 and the other is a nice looking hook made by Steel Horse for $29.99.

#97154 - 16/05/02 06:26 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
kirby34 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BoarderPhreak:
[I've been eyeing this one as well, since I have the factory hitch... Besides, it's bright yellow - how can I resist? laugh

The only thing wrong with it is that the holes are on different sides - the factory hitch' receiver pin goes through sideways... So if you install this particular product, the shackle will sit vertically! Unless, of course, you pop that sucker on a drill press and drill yourself a new set of holes...
Yah, that was the one. I have to admit that I hadn't even noticed the position of the pin holes - that does seem to be a bit odd.

#97155 - 16/05/02 09:11 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
I bought my receiver hitch from 4wheelparts.com... very solid construction for a great price! Not to mention free shipping (at least when I bought mine...)

Receiver Shackle Bracket
Combines a heavy-duty receiver bracket with a 3/4", 20mm shackle. Utilizes a standard Class III receiver hitch as a recovery point for off-road use. Fits all standard Class III hitches. PN 29312

$34.95

http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=708&occlass=WARN&cat=WIN

#97156 - 17/05/02 07:34 AM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
Xterra Rick Offline

Loc: Malta NY
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
Don't use the shackle! You can use the part welded to the frame between the shackle and frame, but don't attach anything to the shackle itself. If it moves, you shouldn't use it.
offroadx....do you leave your clevises on all the time or just when you plan to offroad?

#97157 - 17/05/02 08:36 AM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
OffroadX Offline

No way, they'd rattle like mad. Nah, I either put them on when I need to hook up a strap, or I pre-attach the strap before I hit the trail.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#97158 - 17/05/02 09:11 AM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
Xterra Rick Offline

Loc: Malta NY
Cool, that what I thought....Thanks Brent! wink

#97159 - 17/05/02 10:40 AM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
Xrugger Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by mineralblue:
I bought my receiver hitch from 4wheelparts.com... very solid construction for a great price! Not to mention free shipping (at least when I bought mine...)

Receiver Shackle Bracket
Combines a heavy-duty receiver bracket with a 3/4", 20mm shackle. Utilizes a standard Class III receiver hitch as a recovery point for off-road use. Fits all standard Class III hitches. PN 29312

$34.95

http://www.4wheelparts.com/product2.asp?imseqn=708&occlass=WARN&cat=WIN
I got the same one with the free shipping too. Suprising considering it weighs a ton.

Anyways I was just thinking for the guys who son't have a trailer hitch how about bolting recovery hooks to the frame where the hitch would mount to. You might have to search around to find hook with the right spacing, but it should be plenty strong and accessable unless you're up to your rocker panels in mud.

#97160 - 17/05/02 11:25 AM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
Frostie Offline

For those of you that installed a hitch yourself, how much problem did you have doing it yourself? Is everything pretty straight forward?

#97161 - 17/05/02 11:50 AM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Frostie:
For those of you that installed a hitch yourself, how much problem did you have doing it yourself? Is everything pretty straight forward?
yes realy easy

for nissan one, you need to take off your rear bumper ,to install frame stiffeners
( nissan got big ass monkey tightening those bolts, so be prepared wink )

for non nissan ones, its 1 person job, about 5-10 minutes

#97162 - 17/05/02 11:53 AM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
Olegkha Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Xrugger:
[QBAnyways I was just thinking for the guys who son't have a trailer hitch how about bolting recovery hooks to the frame where the hitch would mount to. You might have to search around to find hook with the right spacing, but it should be plenty strong and accessable unless you're up to your rocker panels in mud.[/QB]
thats very hard to do , because the frame is abover the bottom part of the bumper
so by attaching the hook to the frame, you will be rubbing tow strap on sharp lip of the bumper ( bottom part), and i dont think it will survive more then couple pulls
it will be riped , and will become a weapon, hutring everytihng it will come in contact with

#97163 - 17/05/02 01:03 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
OffroadX Offline

I've used my setup plenty of times and my strap shows little if any wear from the bumper. Besides, if the strap goes flying it's not going to do much harm. Best would be to get a 2" or 3" diameter length of radiator-type hose to put over the first couple of feet of the strap to protect it.

Brent

#97164 - 17/05/02 04:15 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
kirby34 Offline

Xrugger, I was going to say that I thought Warmonger was one of the people who installed rear tow hooks, but I did a Google search and see that someone else (rrdstarr) has done it, too. Um, check out this thread from the Automotive Forums and you'll even see some pics.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t29122.html

#97165 - 17/05/02 08:34 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
rrdstarr Offline

Yes, I did but I am also working on a solution that looks like this so it clears the bumper. The plastic is just a prototype used for modeling. The rusty part on top will be thicker and longer, that will be the frame support.

I have a Calmini Rear Bumper now but building these for the people in PNWX, then to the rest of the Xterra community.

Questions?

-Rick

#97166 - 18/05/02 06:53 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
rjm022 Offline

Loc: york
warn receiver bracket-32.99. use their coupon and get an additional 10% off. www.shop.store.yahoo.com/webjeeps. (cheapest yet!!)

#97167 - 20/05/02 04:14 AM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
Olegkha Offline

Quote:
I've used my setup plenty of times and my strap shows little if any wear from the bumper. Besides, if the strap goes flying it's not going to do much harm. Best would be to get a 2" or 3" diameter length of radiator-type hose to put over the first couple of feet of the strap to protect it.

Brent
Brent : Last time in paragon i have seen a truck with a nice indentation on his back gate

the driver told me that the strap broke loose from the truck behind him and it flew into his back gate

#97168 - 20/05/02 05:00 AM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by rrdstarr:
The plastic is just a prototype used for modeling.

Questions?
Why is it angled ?
Bolts don't like being held in place by just the edge of a nut.

#97169 - 20/05/02 05:13 AM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Besides, if the strap goes flying it's not going to do much harm.
Brent, please take your stupid ideas to some other message board.

#97170 - 20/05/02 07:07 AM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
OffroadX Offline

#97171 - 20/05/02 11:22 AM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
rrdstarr Offline

Ian/XOC, the hook is angled because the rear of the bumper is 3" below the frame. the strap will need to clear the bumper to avoid being cut. I didn't think it would be good just to put in a 3" tall block to drop the hook down? I was just looking for input in how to place a tow hook on the frame for people who don't have a hitch or a Calmini rear bumper or a (shudder!)KMA.

-Rick

#97172 - 21/05/02 12:16 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
Scott Offline

Loc: Fort Collins, Colorado
If you had a similarly angled piece of metal on TOP of the frame you would still have a perpendicular surface for the nut to mate with. That would let you still have the angled piece below, but not put all of the stress on the edge of a nut.

#97173 - 03/06/02 09:02 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
Bayou Boy Offline

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
You guys spend too much money on your receiver hitch shackle things. You can just buy a big shackle and put it through the hole of a normal hitch instead of the ball and save a bunch of money.

And as for the shackle swinging side to side instead of up and down. This makes more sense to me because a lot of pulls are a little from the side and not from extreme up or down angles.

#97174 - 05/06/02 05:45 AM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
gmr2048 Offline

Loc: VA
so does everybody chiming in on this thread have the frame stiffeners? if so, which ones? nissan, or aftermarket?

-gary

#97175 - 05/06/02 06:16 AM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
Olegkha Offline

Gary:
Erick at Skid row got frame stiffeners that are almoust identical to nissan ones

call him

#97176 - 05/06/02 06:32 AM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
rrdstarr Offline

I got my frame stifners yesterday from SkidRow. Will install them next weekend!

-Rick

#97177 - 07/06/02 04:41 AM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
Xrugger Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by gmr2048:
so does everybody chiming in on this thread have the frame stiffeners? if so, which ones? nissan, or aftermarket?

-gary
You can only get the Nissan ones if you buy their hitch. So if you don't need/want/pay for their hitch,the only other option are Skid Row stiffeners.

#97178 - 14/06/02 07:50 PM Re: Rear Tow Loop?
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bayou Boy:
You guys spend too much money on your receiver hitch shackle things. You can just buy a big shackle and put it through the hole of a normal hitch instead of the ball and save a bunch of money.

And as for the shackle swinging side to side instead of up and down. This makes more sense to me because a lot of pulls are a little from the side and not from extreme up or down angles.
I just use the hitch pin...$3.00

I like the Jeep hooks with the blocks, but angled like that wouldn't it stress the one fastener more than the other? Probably not thinking right, but I am curious.

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal