Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#99357 - 21/09/02 02:33 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Costas Offline

Loc: Burnaby, B.C.
Quote:
The only thing that would help your X against a TJ like that is if you sold it.[/QB]
oh, great - you're a lot of help...
:rolleyes:

I could always run him off a cliff.. wink

#99358 - 24/09/02 04:54 AM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
CyBear Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
The only thing that would help your X against a TJ like that is if you sold it.
Just hold on there. I have seen many an X rumble through the mud without a problem... and I've pulled more that one Jeep Cherrie out of the mud myself. [Finger]

#99359 - 24/09/02 07:32 AM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
Hey I'm just being realistic. Xterras are great for forestry roads and can do some pretty hard things, but Jeeps can and do leave us in the dust when the going gets tough. Don't mean to break your hearts boys, but if you're looking to do the really ugly trails you bought the wrong vehicle.

#99360 - 24/09/02 09:06 AM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Vachon Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
I have to concur with Superjens. An Xterra isn't too far off from a Cherokee, but really is in a different class than a TJ (particularly one that has been lifted, re-shoed, etc.)

A TJ has far sharper entry/exit angles, thus allowing it to go in and out of deeper ditches and higher obstacles. It has coil spring supension on front and back solid axles, thus allowing much greater wheel articulation, (and the ability to give it more lift). And it has much shorter wheelbase, thus allowing it to maneuver in tighter spaces.

And that is stock. A TJ with 8" of lift and 35" tires is a whole different story. It is not possible to do either of these things to an X without some very significant modifications to the body and replacing the IFS. It would be dangerous to try to follow a modded up TJ without understanding the differences in capabilities.

The TJ is better for rock-crawling, and getting over and through tricky obstacles, but the X is better for what most of us use it for... (and for that matter what most people use their TJ's for).

You will get a much bumpier ride on forest roads with a TJ, and who would want to try and sleep in the back of a TJ, drive with a canoe on top of it, or tow a larger boat with it?

"Never drink water, fish f**k in it." (W.C. Fields)

#99361 - 24/09/02 12:56 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
superjens Offline

Yeah no doubt, my Honda Civic had a better ride than Xlax's TJ used to on those forestry roads. I gotta hand it to the Xterra on fast "ralley" type dirt roads, I find it absolutely rocks. I love being able to fly down those trails without putting any thought to what I'm going over. laugh

#99362 - 24/09/02 04:23 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Costas Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by superjens:
Yeah no doubt, my Honda Civic had a better ride than Xlax's TJ used to on those forestry roads. I gotta hand it to the Xterra on fast "ralley" type dirt roads, I find it absolutely rocks. I love being able to fly down those trails without putting any thought to what I'm going over. laugh
sigh...as long as you're not riding on oem tires...sigh...
frown

Actually, I'm pretty realistic about getting my ass kicked by the TJ - but it would sure be nice to impress them though.

#99363 - 24/09/02 04:51 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Vachon Offline

You want to impress your friend with the TJ? Go backwoods camping together...

My buddy (with a TJ) and I went camping/offroading for a weekend up near Lillooet. He was mighty "impressed" on that rainy night when I climbed into the back of my X amidst mattress, pillow, and quilts and he had to set up his tent in the rain.

He was also mighty "impressed" when we were stuck behind a logging truck on a dusty FSR for half an hour and I rolled up my windows and turned on the A/C.

The X definitely has advantages. Enjoy them...

"Never drink water, fish f**k in it." (W.C. Fields)

#99364 - 24/09/02 06:37 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
superjens Offline

Quote:
Best argument I've heard yet, you're absolutely right. We don't have much competition in the Haul 4 Friends With All Their Gear category. smile

#99365 - 24/09/02 09:24 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
You can also impress them by taking the Xterra over hard stuff and finishing with less damage than the Jeeps.
You can't outperform a Jeep, but they never think you can do more than a large speed bump.

Truth is that the Xterra rocks on moderate to moderate/tough trails. There aren't many IFS vehicles that can do better off road, and none in its price range.

Xterra101.com

#99366 - 17/10/02 07:59 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
amstel78 Offline

Loc: UN
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeh:
I out perform Jeeps all the time. I always pass them and look through my rear view mirror and say see ya!!.
wink
Funny... you didn't look to happy when I blew right by you in my Grand Cherokee Limited. That's with a bone stock 5.2L V8 by the way... OH wait, V8 isn't in an Xterra owners vocabulary is it? Hehehee.... laugh

#99367 - 17/10/02 08:43 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
ned946 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by superjens:
Quote:
Best argument I've heard yet, you're absolutely right. We don't have much competition in the Haul 4 Friends With All Their Gear category. smile
Gotta admit, point set and match to the Xterra in that category.

Different class when it comes to wheelin against a TJ though...... [Wave]

#99368 - 18/10/02 09:44 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
JSRAIDER Offline

Loc: Southern California
Had 4 co-workers who bought Cherokees the same time that I had my Ranger. All 4 vehicles had cracked windsheilds first hour from wheeling. Co-workers brand new Cherokee smoked the trans, had to drag him out of Coyote Canyon. One other co-workers Cherokee developed bad oil leak from valve cover, worse than my Ranger, he had only 30,000 miles on engine. They may wheel pretty good, but you need to make it home too. I just don't think the build quality is there in the Chrysler products, when you compare stock to stock. I looked long and hard at the Liberty, but from my co-workers experience and there horror stories of getting things serviced the choice was simple.

#99369 - 19/10/02 11:29 AM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Strider Offline

Loc: Huntington, WV, USA
Just thought I would give my two cents on the Jeep/Xterra thing. The company I work for has owned 4 Jeeps (3 Cherokees and now a Liberty). I will say undoubtly that the Cherokee, in the hands of an experienced driver, is one of the greatest offroad vehicles ever made. Also, the Liberty is very capable, as well. I work for a land surveying firm in Southern WV, and have extensive offroad experience in a variety of vehicles (the Jeeps, Toyota trucks, and both an Isuzu Rodeo and Trooper). We survey large tracts (anywhere from 2-4000 acres to 25,000 acres) as well as smaller ones. Routinely we are many miles from any "main" road, often on old skid roads or 4-wheeler paths. The 2-door is the one to have. Although they are small inside, you can put enough equipment for a three man crew and the crew in one and go just about anywhere. The one problem we had with the Cherokees was the lever popping out of 4wd drive on especially steep or inclined slopes where heavy use of the throttle was required. So, we developed a system where the passenger would hold the lever back, leaving the driver able to steer with one hand and use the emergency brake with the other if need be.
As I mentioned earlier, the Liberty is proving to be quite a capable vehicle, as well. Although, I don't think I would drive it through Huff Creek like we did the Cherokee. Water over the hood and a two foot vertical bank to climb up. Oh the stories I could tell!

#99370 - 23/10/02 11:12 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Costas Offline

The more I've heard - the more I like my X - I have to see it perform to get away from the Cherokee mentality ( I do miss it sometimes).

The wife gets to drive the X most of the time, so every time I get it - it feels like a new truck! LOL

I dunno- it's been a wall for me on this 4x4 thing - part of me wants to see the X kick ass, part of me doesn't want to know. Anyboby felt that? Or I am I getting too close with my X?? :rolleyes:

#99371 - 28/10/02 05:22 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
DMMcG Offline

Was unaware of your site 'til a recent outing with a couple of Xterra's. Saw this post and had to comment.

Enjoy your Xterra for what it is. Comparing it to the Cherokee isn't fair to either vehicle - they're both "compromise SUV's", but the Jeep has more been tailored to off-road, and the Xterra to more practical uses.

The Cherokee is too small for many people. Sure you can fold the uncomfortable rear seat down and pack the back with stuff, but it's still a relatively small volume that you've got to work with. The XJ was made to fit on narrow trails - it doesn't hold a whole bunch.

The Cherokee is noisy. Wind noise and engine noise are no small issue. If you want to enjoy a quality stereo, forget about putting it in the Cherokee - driving this poorly insulated brick down the road doesn't suit the dynamic range of classical music.....if you just want to bang your head, who cares what kind of sound you have, as long as you can play it loud - but a refined listening environment isn't found in the Cherokee.

Creature comforts in the newer Cherokees are actually not that bad - but you're still dealing with a truck mentality with its designers. Sure you can get electric windows, doors, neat computer consoles and fancy interior lighting, but forget any "real" luxury options.....no seat position memory, mirror postion memory, posteurally correct seating and the like. The ride is still that of a truck - the stock leaf springs a tad too soft to allow for better flex, but fading shocks and a buckboard ride on forest service roads is a reality. Many XJ owners change out their suspension as one of the first modifications - not just for off-road prowess, but to improve on-road ride.

Anyway, put a locker in you Xterra, get some rock rails, throw a 2" budget lift into it so you can fit a taller tire and have at 'er. At least you'll be able to hear the cello as you toot around the trails.....

Photo by Jens Petersen, all rights reserved.

#99372 - 29/10/02 09:17 AM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by DMMcG:
you're still dealing with a truck mentality with its designers. Sure you can get electric windows, doors, neat computer consoles and fancy interior lighting, but forget any "real" luxury options.....no seat position memory, mirror postion memory, posteurally correct seating and the like. The ride is still that of a truck
Sounds just like the X ya know, though I find the ride comfy enough.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#99373 - 14/11/02 09:18 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
copeland Offline

Loc: B.C., Canada
I'll try and keep this as unbiased and accurate as possible from Jeep perspective. It doesn't matter...no "I beat a jeep on this terrain." "Jeeps are just plain better..." IT's a balance, it's not just the vehicle, it's the driver. I wouldn't stack a Wrangler against a X firstoff... it's not even in the same league...they service two totally different consumers, I don't hold any weakness's against my buddies X when he gets stuck...cause I don't have Air conditioning. As for Cherokees and X's, it is a closer comparison but still they end after four doors and storage space...the drivetrain is totally different. How do you decide which sixze is better?? the smaller cherokke or the X??? depends what you need. However the Liberty is a piece of trash...seriously on my jeep boards, out of all the KJ's I see (liberty model name) There is one I respect and it's lifted and looking into a SFA conversion. Seriously, Liberties aren't marketed to the same crowd as the Cherokees and Wranglers, Just as the X isn't. The liberty is more SUV then Jeep. That may sound ignorant but you have to see the culture that has grown from jeeps...the cherokee alone is 20 some years old...the family line goes back atleast 50. That said, I would liek to go back to my previous statement about balance...I wouldn't dare put a cherokee or Wrangler against the X if say the X was driven by an ARCA competitor. It's not just the vehicle you drive but the elements around it which make it great.

*Edit sorry for the poor grammer, I had class and I don't feel like editing.
"...And remember, keep a parts catalog handy, if something wont come off or out, check the price, and then wack it with a hammer, the relpacement price will let you know how hard to hit it." -- t_oad01

#99374 - 22/11/02 03:57 PM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
Yaxbalam Offline

Loc: Fieldbrook, California
[Argue] Xterra--Jeep---Xterra---Jeep Well, I got both and (02' 4X4 SE V6, Jeep GCLTD 5.2L V8) an to tell you the truth I love'm both...who's tougher, who's better... depends on what you want to do with them. But I'll tell you this I had a 73' Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser that stomp on'em all when it came to 4wheeling (Rubicon no problem, Mohave yeah baby, Trinity Alps go for it, Loma Prieta oops, rolled it-dumb me). Remember the meaner and tougher the rig the worst you get stuck. BTW I've had the X for about a week now and I've grown quite attached to it! My wife drives the GC until she takes the X away from me.

#99375 - 25/11/02 08:53 AM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
seamonkey Offline

Loc: Boerne, TX
My mom started taking her GC on Jeep Jamboree's when they first came out. Many times she would have the only GC on the run. At first they discouraged her from certain trails but she insisted, ultimately impressing them and me. She has had 3 since and each she has put on a 2-3in. lift and air lockers. It would pretty much go anywhere including the rubicon. She has less problems with her Jeeps than I have had with my X. Her current one now has 116K miles on it. Jeep's 4.0L I-six is much better than our V6.

Offroad Pics

#99376 - 26/11/02 03:31 AM Re: Anyone gone head to head with Jeep?
DetR6oit Offline

Loc: Warren, MI
Pffft, XJs can't wheel, laugh Here is what TJs think of XJs.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal