It's been two months since I purchased my solar yellow, 2WD SE 2001 Xterra, and I still can't believe that I am really driving one. I have been driving sedans and a family van for years and had no idea this SUV was sooooo fun to drive and use.

This past weekend, I took a nice drive from Austin to New Braunfels to follow a caravan of avid scuba divers to dive a part of the Comal river. All my scuba gear and tank fits just great back there. While traveling down I-35 South, I was amazed that the SUV could pass up two huge trucks (18 wheelers) like a breeze. Once we got there, I suited up in my wetsuit in the back seat with no problem. After the dive, it did rain a little and that meant puddles on the road. Going through those shallow road puddles was a joy. The next day, I drove my old Dodge Van just to drive it around. I went through those same puddles with the van and trust me, it's not the same feel as the Xterra.

To end this story, I agree my X is not as fun as a 4X4, but as compared to what I was driving before (i.e. '77 Subaru, '84 Volvo, '88 Dodge Van) nothing beats my Xterra to how it handles.

Unless my career or life takes me to snow, mountain, or desert where a 4x4 is a must, my 2WD will rule for now........

------------------