Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:

Getting 2wd is trading all the SUV advantages away, and ending up with a slow, heavy commuter car...with no real advantage over a minivan except crash worthiness and ground clearance.
I've got to admit - this cracked me up...

I must have been an IDIOT!!! Why in the world would I want a vehicle thats only advantages are greater CRASH WORTHINESS and TRAIL ACCESS when taking my kids camping and biking? I don't know what I was thinking!?!?

Seriously, no offense TJ, but it seems you're viewing this from only one perspective and that's the use you purchased your '01 SE 4x4 for - muddin' in NJ, etc.

The other thing of note is that you're viewing this from the 1st Gen. X perspective. The 2nd Gen X is anything but slow and its gas mileage is on par with many mini-vans (which you'd have to drug me, give me a sex-change operation, and call me Betty before I'd drive...)

I wanted a vehicle that was:

- SAFE (I've usually got my wife and 2 kids or a truck full of Scouts from my son's troop)

- had the capability to get me to remote trail heads (sometimes down fire, logging roads, etc.)

- had enough room to take all the camping, biking, back-packing gear

- didn't drive like a civic

The ONLY vehicle I drove that I immediately went "yeah, this is it" was the '07 Xterra S. It has nothing to do with image - it has to do with functionality, safety, driveability, etc.

I live in South Carolina, we get 1" of snow every 5 years, and I grew up driving 2wd in snow in Kentucky. I figured it made no sense what-so-ever to pay the extra $2k+ just for 4wd.

I'll save my pennies for more [drink] !!!