My 2 cents since I am the spectator (co-driver) of the XterraRacer I can shed some light on how we make it JUMP. We have a set up that is custom - meaning lots of fab! The most important element, besides the obvious of added components through out, is understanding your shocks. The stiffer they are the better they will perform when landing hard. The front end on the X is very stiff however we manage to survive hours of pounding. The shocks absorb the load rather than letter components (bump stops, control arms, etc) - we have had failure when the shocks have not done their job due to set up.

Someone mentioned a locker... yes, its going to help keep your nose straight while lining up to hit the lip perpendicular... but I can tell you many of times we have launched and landed on 1 wheel... such would be the case if you did not have a locker (or spool). Overall, the locked rear will grant you more even transfer of power to the loose dirt. Additionally, the locker will provide more control in the corners as you can predict how it will react - consistently.

Desert racing WILL break parts. The list goes on and on, but we do it because we love it.

For more information and to chat more specifically with XterraRacer (Dave) please check us out at www.teamxterraracing.com

Robert