You shouldn't have any problem at all accessing the rack. It is maybe a tad narrow, but that way it won't interfere with tight terrain? The outside edge is flush with the outermost portion of the body panels. Making them a bit wider shouldn't make them any less strong because the strength in his design is that the inner rail runs along the body seam underneath contacting that first. It would contact the seam along the entire length distributing the weight evenly. This also eliminates the problem some have had with stretching or bending the mounting holes in the frame. He told me that he adjusted the spacing (outward toward the ends) to box them in a bit more like mine to stiffen them up and provide a bit more safety for jacking. With the 3/16" tubing I can't imagine adding an inch or so would compromise them at all. They support the whole weight of the truck (ok half smile ) 3+ feet in the air. They are *very* strong. If you need any more pics I can send them. They will be fairly large as I haven't learned how to edit them yet.

Charlie

one more thing, I'm not terribly coordinated, and I'm in between Brian Denahey and a fireplug in shape and weight. I have no problems getting to stuff on the rack. I have slipped off when they were wet and muddy, but I didn't hit my shins. I think how close they are prevent that?

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart