Weather forecast is looking good for the next 10-days for Paynes Creek so far... smile

I haven't decided meeting times yet, but.. I think I'm going list the following for meeting places.

1. Montgomery Ward parking lot, off of I-680, Monument Blvd exit
2. Safeway in Corning
3. Black Oak Grove Campground on the trail

Safeway
600 Edith St.
Corning, CA 96021
ph: (530) 824-2467

Since I'm lazy, I'll work on the meeting time at each location later, later on this week...or next. laugh

Oh, and if anyone who happens to be thinking about showing up at the campground...

Quote:
from the book I have (again)
To Get there: from Highways 99 and 36 east of Red Bluff, take Hwy 36 east in the direction of Lassen Volcanic National Park. After 20 miles, turn right on Paynes Creek Loop at mile marker 64. Go 0.4 miles and turn right on Plum Creek Road just after Paynes Creek Store. Follow paved road 8.3 miles to Ponderosa Way (F.S. Road 28N29, also County Road 707B).

Trail Description: Reset your odometer and turn right on Pnderosa Way. Stay on this wide gravel road as it winds south through scenic forest. Cross a wooden bridge at 9.6 miles. Stay on the main road as it curves slightly to the right at 11.7 miles where F.S. 28N29F crooses. Turn right at 12.6 miles at a sign for Peligreen Jeep Trail marked as F.S. 28N57.

Reset your odometer as you turn right. Bear left at 0.7 miles then at 1.4 miles, turn right at another sign for the Peligreen Jeep Tral . This route drops downhill into a fire-damaged canyon where many dead trees have fallen across the trail. (If you wish to avoid this part of the route, you can continue straight on a longer but easier loop around the canyon.) The first blockage of the trail is at 1.8 miles. Detour around on the left side and rejoin the trail within 0.1 miles, then bear left downhill. Weave your way around other smaller blockages as the trail gradually swings right downhill. You reach bottom at 2.2 and begin to climb as the trail becomes more defined. A road goes right at 2.8 miles but don't turn yet. Continue just a bit farther to 2.9 miles where you'll see a large sign for Rancheria Hiking Trail straight ahead.

Reset your odometer and turn right at above sign. Weave around some big trees as the trail follows along a fence bordering the Ishi Wilderness. Stay left around a large log blocking the trail at 0.4 miles. This is the site of Peligreen Place but nothing remains. The road weaves uphill within sight of the wilderness boundary. Turn left at 1.3 miles where a faint trail goes right uphill along Indian Ridge. Pass through a fence opening at 1.5 miles. More fence openings will follow. Make a steep, rocky climb at 2.8 miles. Weave uphill through Black Oak Grove Campground at 3.2 miles. Not much here except a few fire rings and shade...
[Wave]