Yeah that Tahoe sounds a little to big for the Frontier. If you say its 2900 DVW...you can add about 400 pounds for options....then another 300 lbs for water..................then add about 400 on average for all the gear your pile into it.....but sounds like you may have some other things going on there if you are already up over 4000 without any gear. The tow rating on the X is 5000 pounds.....so I am looking to keep the Gross weight after all the above at or below 4000 lbs to give the V6 a fighting chance going up the Sierras.

On another note I was looking at the specs of your trailer. That is a little longer then I would pull with the X or Frontier as well. Did you ever run into any "sway" control issues? A number of trailer people I have talked to said they wouldn't dare pull over 21' with the Xterra/Frontier...but I think yours is 23'....24'? Just curious to see if you had any big problems in high winds or making advasive manuvers for safety reasons. None of the trailers I am considering are over 21' long "total" length (that includes the length of the tongue).