Things that I like about smugmug.

$39/ yr. Unlimited space to upload photos. Right now, I have over 15GB (that's 15 gigabytes!)of jpgs stored on my site in lots of different galleries. The layout is somewhat customizeable at my current subscription - but if I want, I can go up to a pro account and get more layout - custom passwords - charge for downloads and charge when people order prints, so I can collect any profits from the sale of shots that I take. Not really useful for me right now, but if I choose to try and sell my photos someday, I can. For every referal I find, I get a $10 credit to my next yrs subscription - so 3 referals and I get a free year.

I allow people to download the original jpgs from me (mostly) cause I use my site to share photos with my friends and people from church. I recently discovered that smugmug will give non-profit orgs a free pro account, so I set one up for my church to store church related event photos. If you know of any non-profits who could use this service (church, boy scouts, xterra clubs, toys for tots, etc) here is the contact: http://www.smugmug.com/help/non-profit-free-accounts

Smugmug is one of the few online services that allows my friends to download the original file size/quality. I can turn this off if I choose on a gallery by gallery basis.

No pop-ups or adds, makes it easier for my guests to surf. Reasonably fast display speeds.