Originally posted by JeffW:
Quote:
Originally posted by cadams7407:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by chumpmann:
[b]that isnt.....
Close, but wrong.

as the treadmill increases speed, the plane does NOT increase power to the thrusters. In order to stand still, the plane need only provide enough thrust to overcome the friction of the wheels on the tread belt. The thrust at low treadmill speed is the same at a high treadmill speed. The plane is not making the wheels spin, the treadmill is.

This would be analgous to tethering the plane to a fixed object. The treadmill can go as fast as it wants, as long as the plane remains stationary. The wheels will spin faster and faster, but fast spinning wheels does not make a plane take flight.[/b]
Incorrect.

As has been suggested above, it would be a good idea to take High School Physics I prior to commenting.

You will not that the equation for frictional force is F(f) = Mu x Weight . By using standard physics equations, (as has been well explained above), the plane takes off.

Please do everybody a favor and take the time to read and explanation before making the foolish assumption that free-spinning wheels will affect the plane's absolute velocity. Wheel friction is insignificant compared to 50 tons of thrust. The plane takes off.[/b]
and you should take reading comprehension. I didn't say shit about the plane taking off. In fact, I supported your arguement you dumbass.

Quote:
Please do everybody a favor and take the time to read and explanation before making the foolish assumption that free-spinning wheels will affect the plane's absolute velocity.
Actually I said that it does NOT affect the way the plane takes off.

Quote:
fast spinning wheels does not make a plane take flight.
I was stating that more thrust is not needed to make the wheels go faster .. ie .. I'll save you the comprehension part and spell it out for you: thrust of the plane is independant of the spinning of the wheels.

as the plane applies more thrust, its going to move forward no matter how fast the tread belt is going.

MY arguement is that using a runway sized treadmill totally defeats the purpose of using a treadmill. People like you are redefining what a treadmill is so you can spout physics lessons and try to make people feel stupid.