I’ve been playing guitar since 4th grade, and played in various rock bands and the school jazz band in high school and college. So when my 13 year old son and 11 year old daughter pooled their Christmas money to get Guitar Hero for their Play Station, well, what could I do. They both got pretty got at it, but the few time I tried it I sucked badly.

So anyway, after getting boo’d off the stage playing Rock and Roll All Night (never got boo’s when I played it in REAL bands!), I said screw it and broke out my old Flying V and started playing the real thing (kinda like in a certain South Park episode). I kinda did it in good fun as a goof, but then my kids asked if I could teach them! So short version – I picked up a lesson book at the local music store and now I’m giving my kids guitar lessons - The real thing, starting with the basics, notes, hand positioning, etc.
We’re doing the lessons on my acoustic guitars for starters (steel strings, make their little fingers suffer!!!). Guess I’m old school and think that’s the best way to start (hey, that’s what I did.). So far so good!

So then a few days ago at work, I hear one of my co-workers on the phone with a local music store asking about guitars. Turns out his daughter got Guitar Hero, and now wants lessons on the real thing too!

So is this a new trend? Anyone else know anyone who’s taking up real guitar after playing Guitar Hero?

Pretty cool trend if it exists, but it will be interesting to see how many people stick with it.