Quote:
Originally posted by Conundrum:

Hate to break it to you NYMM, but it was not necessarily illegal until there were laws passed that did so. Up until then it was a non-issue.
I'm aware of the history of drug laws in this country. Just because a law regarding something does not exist, doesn't make its use right.

Marijuana laws do not exist solely in the United States either. Almost every country on earth has laws regarding marijuana. It's a controlled substance in almost every country.

Some countries are extremely strict, some are a bit lax regarding personal use. There are even a few countries with such draconian drug laws where if you are caught selling pot, or are convicted of the intent to distribute, they will give you the death penalty.

I think it is fairly safe to say that the majority of the world feels that marijuana belongs as a controlled substance and should remain illegal. My opinion on the matter is hardly a minority opinion.

Quote:
Sorry I struck such a cord with you, BTW what I do is my own business unless it hurts someone else.
You didn't strike a chord in me. I just merely stated that I think it is correct that marijuana be illegal.

It seems the "pro-illegal" viewpoint is what has struck a chord in some in this thread. It's not like that wasn't expected.

The laws of the land are in agreement with my opinion. Those laws won't be seriously changing either in any of our lifetimes, so I really don't have an emotional or political stake in this topic.

Whether you believe it or not, your drug use does harm other people. I doubt you grow your own marijuana for your personal consumption, so your drug purchases are most likely subsidizing a wide swath of related peripheral criminal activities including murder. Maybe even the murder of law enforcement personnel both in and out of this country. Possibly terrorism too.

Quote:
Lumping people or Classing them together just perpetuates the problems we face in America
What "lumping" are you referring to? Do you mean calling pot users "stoners" and "potheads"? Well, people who use regularly are potheads and stoners.

I wouldn't call an occasional or rare user a stoner or pothead, but those labels are appropriate for the regular and daily users. These people are addicted.

Quote:
Lively discussion, however I haven't really seen anyone prove either way that it should be legal or illegal and maybe that's why it's still an issue.
For the people who feel that pot should be legal, it will always be an issue.

I can tell you one thing though. It will NEVER be completely legal. The federal government will never make it legal. Congress will NEVER intervene to make it legal (That includes both Democrats and Republicans).

Most countries on earth will never make it completely legal.

That's the reality.