Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
I most certainly did read your schizophrenia link.

Very clearly in the 3rd paragraph, it states that the use of the drug was NOT believed to be the primary cause, they just saw an increase in the occurrence of it among those with a poor disposition.

That one is really weak.
You can do your own searching for articles and studies related to marijuana use, schizophrenia and mental illness in general. There is an awful lot out there. Of course there are the pro-marijuana people and articles that refute whatever evidence comes out.

In one article I posted regarding the UK, they cited the results of a recent study that could have them discussing revisiting their classification of marijuana. A couple of years ago, pot was reclassified in the UK. It was the law enforcement industry that pushed for that reclassification.

I'll reprint the post....

Quote:
Here is an interesting article from "The Independent" newspaper in the UK.

They are a fairly liberal paper and used to advocate for the legalization or decriminalization of marijuana. They no longer support that position and even seem to be apologizing for their previous stand on the issue....

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article2368994.ece

The article states...

Quote:
The Independent:

The skunk smoked by the majority of young Britons bears no relation to traditional cannabis resin - with a 25-fold increase in the amount of the main psychoactive ingredient, tetrahydrocannabidinol (THC), typically found in the early 1990s. New research being published in this week's Lancet will show how cannabis is more dangerous than LSD and ecstasy. Experts analysed 20 substances for addictiveness, social harm and physical damage. The results will increase the pressure on the Government to have a full debate on drugs, and a new independent UK drug policy commission being launched next month will call for a rethink on the issue.
Maybe as new research keeps coming out, some governments will be rethinking their permissive policies regarding this drug.

It will never be completely legal in the United States. You can take that to the bank.
There is new research coming out all the time on this subject. In the past there was really never much research done on the effects of long term marijuana usage.

Let's not get into these ridiculous arguments where we claim to know successful people who smoke pot regularly. There are exceptions to every rule. I also know such people. I'm sure we all do. We all also know people whose lives have been hurt by their pot usage.

The pro-legalization arguments rely on too many assumptions. One assumption being that legalization would have no negative effect on society as a whole and that the amount of people who smoke pot will not increase because of the fact that the government has put their seal of approval on the drug.

Another common assumption is that the legalization of pot will completely eliminate all the underground trafficking and criminal element involved in the pot trade.

Probably the biggest assumption made by the pro-legalization side of the argument is that most governments on earth are wrong regarding the issue.