Quote:
Originally posted by Shahram:

But it's okay for the government to tell their children it's okay to be a drunk, or a pill-popping shopping addict, or a big fat heart attack? Booze is legal, prescription drugs are legal, and pork rinds are legal. Legalization does not preclude endorsement. It's still legal to have anal sex, but I don't see any House Committees to promote butt fucking.
I don't think the government tells anyone it is OK to be a drunk. They spend a lot of money on public service advertising to the contrary.

We live in a representative republic and the government already tried to outlaw alcohol. The public didn't like it and demanded it be repealed and it was repealed.

There is no such demand from the public to repeal laws regarding marijuana being illegal. If there was such an outcry from the public, the government would react. Politicians do afterall want to get reelected. Most politicians in most districts get reelected by promising to crack down on drugs. That includes marijuana. Most of the public agrees.

Regarding your comment about big fat heart attacks, some governments are already starting "prohibition" laws on regulating dietary intake. Here in NYC it is now illegal to use certain types of cooking oils in restaurants that contain trans-fat. Do you agree with that government interference?

Your comment about pill popping shoppers is more indicative of a corrupt and unethical medical establishment than an indictment on government itself. Most prescription medication has valid and sometimes lifesaving uses.

Quote:
What the government endorses has very little bearing on the way I feel about any given subject, and that is a trait I will happily pass on to my son. I want the government to stop endorsing or opposing lifestyle choices, and get back to doing what they need to do.
Are you saying.... In your mind, drug use is a lifestyle choice that the government or society in general shouldn't have a vested interest?

Quote:
It is not the responsibility of government to concern themselves with molding the thought processes of children. Legalization is an adult matter, and adults are not children.
I agree with you in that statement. Unfortunately the government is involved with molding the thought processes of children in today's society. But that is a discussion for another thread and another topic.