Quote:
Originally posted by AZ-Ted:

NY Madman, in your opinion, what are the benefits of keeping it illegal?
That's a valid question, so I will try to give as honest an answer as I could provide.

I'm sure most has been covered over the multiple pages of this thread.

Keeping pot illegal, keeps many people from becoming potheads. Even though pot is available on the streets, an individual still has to go out and seek the product.

The argument that pot is currently widely available and anyone who wants to smoke it will find it, is a very flawed argument. Government legalization will increase the percentage of the population who indulge in the drug.

I've already stated that most people in this thread are basing their opinions on their own personal experiences. Most people in this thread are middle class and upper middle class white people. They have absolutely no idea what a drug such as marijuana does to non-white and non-middle class people and their neighborhoods and so-called "communities".

Most people who argue in favor of marijuana have never even been in a really bad urban ghetto neighborhood. Most would completely piss their pants if they were ever dropped off in such an area.

You don't see many serious black leaders advocating for the legalization of pot... or any drug for that matter. The entire legalization movement consists of mainly white people and left wing radicals (which can also constitute many people of color, but aren't indicative of their racial groups as a whole).

The increase of the Hispanic population is also increasing demand for the product and may also be influencing the debate considering much of the product that comes from Hispanic sources.