Had an interesting encounter today with regard to the whole wash/wax debate. Looking for your couple pesos input here.

I'm looking to get my old car (a 92 Lincoln) cleaned up for sale. I happen past this place, around the corner from my house, Charlie's Old Fashioned Simoniz. Turns out, this guy is the only one left in the country still doing the hand rubbed Simoniz treatment. We get to talking about cars, etc. Get this. He tells me, that with regard to washing cars:

NO SOAP. Wash the car with clean water and a wet rag, then dry it off. He then tells me all you need to do is wax a car (Simoniz of course) once a year.

I am totally not having it. He then shows me his car, a 1990 toyota celica. Looks brand new. Swears to me on his grandchildren that he's only waxed it nine times in the entire time he's had it. It was raining, and the water had a full bead. He then showed me a car he was finishing up inside, a Chrysler Sebring. You could skate on the finish.

Any thoughts folks? Bear in mind that this guy has been in business since 1946. I gotta say that there must be some merit to what he says.

------------------