Managed to get the driver side head off today. My exhaust manifold bolts/nuts are giving me fits. I've soaked the crap out of them with penetrating oil, but two of the three bolts broke. Going to take some effort to drill and tap those bad boys out.

Weird thing is that it appears that my engine is a non-interference motor. There are reliefs cuts in the piston tops. I can see no visible evidence of piston/valve collisions. confused

As a poor man's test of the valve seats, you can stand the heads up sideways and pour fluid (I used a motor flush) in to the exhaust ports, flip it around, and do the same thing for the intake side and look for leakage in to the combustion chamber. More bad news, 2 of the 3 exhaust valves leak, 1 of three on the intake side. So, I need to get the heads to the machine shop.

Piston and cylinder walls look good.

I started on the passenger side head, same crap on the exhaust bolts and I sure can't see how I am going to get to the back exhaust manifold bolts - there is no room! Hopefully tomorrow I can figure it out.

Any one want a truck cheap? Make me an offer. Lots of great parts! eek