PepperKay,

I have a large MagLite on my driver's side door, and a fire extinguisher in my back compartment. I removed the panels on the door and the right rear compartment area, drilled holes, and put in a wood lathe behind the panel (with washers). You can get big, thick paint stirrers at Home Depot for this (Don't get cheap little ones, get the large ones made from better wood). They are pine and easy to drill, but will provide support. You won't have to worry about the wood scraping the plastic (like steel), or providing something that might short out any wiring. Be careful with the panel's plastic, it scratches easily if anything hard is under the panel while drilling. I found out the hard way.

I will be at the San Diego run up Palomar Divide Road this next Saturday if you want to see what I've done.

One more piece of advice. Don't buy any of those cheap car fire extinguishers from First Alert, etc. Look in the yellow pages under fire extinguishers or fire supplies & equipment. Find a place near you and buy a small industrial style extinguisher. These are about the same price, are very sturdy, and best of all can be refilled. These use metal parts and not plastic. They come with nice solid metal mounting brackets, not cheap plastic ones. Many of these extinguisher companies are people who work out of their homes and drive around to small businesses. I got mine from a guy with a home business (near me) for about $20 and it is a really top-quality unit. If you bought a cheap one at Wal-Mart or something, return it and buy a better one.

------------------
X_tempore
2000 Aztec Red SE 4x4