Quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Quote:
Originally posted by NY Madman:
[b]All public and most private universities now have "diversity requirements". Certain courses fulfill these diversity requirements. They didn't have shit like this back in my day either but it is standard now. Ask any kid in college.
I graduated university in December, 1999.

All public universities, huh?

They have been busy in the past three years . . . because I didn't get a whiff of that shit in school . . .[/b]
Graduated in 1998. Neither did we. Not one whiff. Miami University of Ohio. Public University.

Edited to add: They have what they call the Miami Plan for Liberal Education. It has nothing to do with social issues. It is meant to make sure you take some classes outside of your field. I took classes focusing on Ecology - three classes, one was a biology class, one was a geography class, and one was an ecology class.

And going through their website now - it's the same. No diversity classes are required whatsoever, from the business school to the college of arts and sciences.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist