I see your point L'villeX, You know I agree. If he were on duty or on the way home from official duties then I think the department should be held responsible. (I'm sure that will be investigated)

The thing I don't understand, is how a man can carry a badge and a gun and shoot me, but can willfully drink and get behind the wheel knowing the law and it's consequences! It's fu**ing absurd. This guy is supposed to "protect and serve"?? No thanks. I'm sure other police officers would agree. What a disgrace to the shield..

His insurance company should feel the wrath of a good attorney. Your nephew has suffered pain and suffering and should be compensated to the fullest extent of the policy that a-hole had, and then some. Tell your relatives not to even talk to any people representing him or his insurance company in the absence of someone to represent them. Sometimes, insurance companies will try to get you to settle before you be properly represented. I know, I've been there. The guy that hit us hurt my wife and my kid, loosing his job was about the worst thing that happened to him.