Quote:
Originally posted by TremorX:
I take no pride in "being an American," because it was not by choice I was born in this country any more than it was a Muslim terrorist's choice that he was born in his. What matters is that I live life in such a way that I can enjoy it unapologetically. Being an American has dick to do with that, and it's silly to think otherwise. The "Love it or leave it" attitude is depressing to hear, because it's such an antithesis to what this nation stands for. And why should I leave such a beautiful landscape just because I disagree with the PEOPLE in power? Why should I give up a chance to see the Grand Canyon, or Mt. Rainier, or the Okefenokee Swamp just because I don't like our government?

Why should anyone else?

I don't care about the US as a 'nation,' but I do respect what matters -- the land and the people in it. Sadly, few others do, especially those in power.

Proud to be American, no. Happy to be alive, yes.
I understand what you are saying and couldnt disagree with you more. I don't like to give the "Love it or Leave it" answer to anyone except those who say things like, "If Bush is elected president I am moving out of the country."

To my disagreements.

Quote:
What matters is that I live life in such a way that I can enjoy it unapologetically. Being an American has dick to do with that, and it's silly to think otherwise.
There are not many countries on this earth where this is true, so it has alot to do with being an American. Our freedoms are what make this country what it is.

Quote:
I don't care about the US as a 'nation,' but I do respect what matters -- the land and the people in it. Sadly, few others do, especially those in power.
I see the people and the land as the "nation". I see them as one in the same.

I dont argue with a person's right to have an opinion. But I sure as hell have the right to disagree with that opinion.

I quite frankly cant even begin to understand your reasoning for your post. I take more pride in "being an American" than probably anything else. I am proud of what this country stands for, I am proud of the legacy this country already has in the course of history. Being an American has everythingto do with the way you are able to live your life. I am saddened that you don't see it that way.