Quote:
Originally posted by mbflyerfan:
No its reads more like, shall make no law establishing a state religion or make a law prohibiting exercising of such. I am paraphrasing from memory. I didnt read your links because I couldnt get to them. Its all subject to interpretation.

Do I think having a stone tablet with the commandments on it is offensive to me as an atheist? No. Truth is truth regardless of where you believe it came from. Do I think the ACLU is a misguided bunch of Dukakis loving, treehugging, moon maidens, you bet. Both sides can say, "whats the big deal?", from both sides of the argument, and they will both mean it in completely opposite ways. But I still think the line is blurred, and I would err on the side of caution.
Yes, I believe the whole first admendment is up for interpretation. But no where, and I mean no where, is there a Federal law stating "separation of church and state."

I believe they wanted the freedom to practice any form of Christianity they wanted. I believe they did not want any religious leaders of any faith having any role in politics. (Watch the movie "The Three Musketeers" to see why)

Having the Ten Commandments on the wall is no big deal. Yes, our government did legislate many of our laws based on the Bible. Be honest here, as an Atheist, do you really take offense to seeing them there? Do you really take offense that moment of silent prayer is allowed in school? They have the right to pray. You have the right not to. Stand or sit there and think of ways to pass your pro-weed bills.