Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
Originally posted by MBFlyerfan:
[b]Yea in 1802. In a letter.
That's a lot more evidence than some fictional words written 2000 years ago, or were they carved into stone by a lightining bolt, I forget.

The 10 Commandments are a nice set of moral recommendations for a civilized race to live by, but face it, this planet will never reach that level.[/b]
Evidence of what? Evidence that it is not in the constitution. The ten commandments are a good set of guidelines written by some dude 2000 years ago, yes, I get it.

There is a great deal of difference to the quote "seperation of church and state", and "build a wall of seperation between church and state." The first has finality, the second (and what was actually written) leaves room for interpretation.

No we can take this all sorts of ways. I am offended by rap music being played at loud volumes by cars with giant subwoofers. So maybe we should ban it. I am only a minority in this, but we must protect the offended minorities at all costs.

I have never been to court and felt intimidated or discriminated in any way because I was an atheist. In fact, the tenet of my religious beliefs were never even brought up.

The government, even if it has the commandments on the steps, can only be proven to be establishing a state religion if you can show actual bias against a person being tried in said courtroom because they are non jew/christian. You could then show "establishment" because obviously it would be beneficial to be the religion of the goverment.

On a side note, it is quite obvious that the majority of our government are practicing christians/jews. And, if anything, being a religious person in this country right now is quite an unpopular thing. So that hardly qualifies as establishment.

And as for "In God We Trust," will someone please explain to me how this establishes one religion over another. Which God?!

One more thing. When the founding fathers wrote that ammendment, you can be damn sure they were talking about different sects of christianity. This, after all is what many of them came over here for to begin with. So they could practice thier christianity in peace. Free from a state sponsored version of whatever type of christianity was sanctioned. Free from being persecuted for not following the government line.

It did not mean the government needed to be all atheists. It meant they could be whatever religion they wanted to be without forcing thier 'subjects' to be the same religion. I still do not see how having a ten commandments on a step forces people to be christian or jew. And if people feel like it does, then they should get their weak minds over it. And then prove to me how it has forced them to be jewish or christian.