Quote:
Originally posted by TatsuoX:
When are people going to get a clue?

People who are in the Armed Forces of the United States of America did so by their own willing hand. It is part of their job to go to war, to defend and protect the U.S. and their "interests"(what interests those are, is debatable).

Sure, every man and woman in the military who is currently in the shit wants to go home, and they should be home by now. I was fortunate enough to serve during peacetime. A lot of others haven't been. But that didn't mean when I was out to sea for three fucking months in a row that I didn't want to go home.

All of our people should be back now. Why aren't they? It's quite simple.

1. The civilian asshats in charge never gave the military what they wanted(similar to Vietnam). Had we put our full might into it, it would be over. Take no prisioners, no bullshit. But no, that's too against the grain for our PC government. What happened to the tough talk after 9/11? It takes the 82nd, 101st, and certain Marine units a matter of hours to get anywhere in the world. Yet somehow or another it took Bush & co. a month and a half to get their asses in gear with Afghanistan. Absolutely unacceptable. How long was war with Iraq mentioned about before it went down? 3-4 months? Pathetic.

2. Their rebuilding plan. Absolutely atrocious. Soliders are not builders. Go back to step one and had the military been given the ability to do their job to the fullest, the engineers, workers and whatnot wouldn't have to fear for the lives trying to put what we destroyed back together. As Infx said in the other thread, infantry folks aren't there for "security" or "rebuilding". They are there to kick ass and take names.

On that note, why are we even bothering to rebuild? War is destruction, war is hell. The absolute worst in humanity comes out in war. There are all these fucking rules that come about(the Geneva convention needs to be SERIOUSLY updated) in war. There are no rules. Sure, that kill and ask questions later attitude can be scary, but that's what war is. It sucks, but war sucks.

Am I Anti-American for thinking this? Absolutely not. I am a proud citizen of this country. My father served not once, but twice in Vietnam. He took a bullet for this country, he watched some of his best friends get decimated in front of him with his own very eyes for this country. I fully understand what patriotism is.

However, when our men and women are in the shit, and nothing is being done about it, that's unpatriotic. The nearly 300 men and women killed so far didn't die for their country. They died liberating Iraq. Anybody who doesn't think that is a fool. Sure, it's easy to come up with some bullshit reason to justify their death, but I'd like for anyone of you to say that in the face of any of the 300 families who have lost a loved one in this war.

So instead of getting in and getting out, today and for the foreseeable future our soliders stand around forced to have their thumbs up their asses cause policymakers can't get their heads out of theirs. Nearly 2 years after 9/11, and we still don't have the man who was ultimately responsible for it in custody or in a grave. I truly believe that we have the finest forces in the world. We search and we destroy better than anyone. But only when the leaders behind them let them do it.
Same old argument. We knew from the get go that we would be liberating Iraq. No suprise there. Since you say you spent 3 months out at sea, i am assuming you have been on either a Med cruise or a Westpac? Either way, you probably have been to the Middle East, and you would most definately have been to Bahrain or Jebal Ali, right? If you passed Osama Bin Laden in any of those places, would you recognize him? Probably not, because he has billions of dollars, and can look like any other Arab person walking around. Yes, it has been 2 1/2 years, what do you expect? He could be dead and buried for all we know.