Originally posted by BurgPath:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mobycat:
[b]
Quote:
Originally posted by BurgPath:
[b]
quote:
Actually, it IS your First Amendment right. Does the name Fred Phelps mean anything to you? The Kansas preacher that goes to gay funerals with signs chanting "God Hates Fags"? He's not arrested. Because he's within his First Amendment rights.
To say that, yes. To violate my rights with his screaming? NO. Hell no.
OK, I detest Fred Phelps. But how is his screaming violating your rights?[/b]
Do I not have the right to attend a funeral in peace? Do I not have the right to be left alone, not to be bothered by other people?
Case in point: Guy up North had a flag pole with a US Flag he flew everyday. Neighbor complained that it was too noisy. Court made him take it down. (Was in the news sometime ago.)

So how do you find a balance between the 2 'rights'?[/b]

The court should not have told him to take it down, plain and simple.

No, you don't have the *right* to attend a funeral in "peace." It may be preferable, but it's not a right.

I think Phelps needs to shut the hell up. I think the attendees of the funeral should be able to expect others to act respectfully. However, there's no law saying they can't.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist