Quote:
Originally posted by BurgPath:
If the white students raised their own $ to have a prom, they can have it. Is it wrong? No more so than a private male club (Augusta National) not allowing women.

If the $ for the prom was from tax payers (it isn't) then prom should be integrated.
Thats all fine and good, but everybody knows Augusta is a male only club. The women who play there but are not allowed to join know this. Plus Augusta would not be able to exist as a "whites only" club. So the point is irrelevant. There are plenty of male only and female only organizations in this world that everyone deems acceptable. That you see this "whites only" prom as acceptable reeks of bigotry on your own part. There is no other reason for it other than it being racially motivated.

Last I checked this High School was almost 50/50 black/white. I know they raised thier own money to pay for it, I know there is no law against it, techically it is a private party. But isnt it about time we put this issue to bed once and for all. The issue is not that it is "private", they should be looking at the issue of why these bigots felt they needed a "white only" prom to begin with? Why in this day and age, the school administrators, who should be setting an example, have not spoken out against this is beyond me. Unless they wish to perpetrate the racist feelings that this subject stirs. What about the parents and other role-models who could use this as a chance to mend fences and age-old differences. Instead they dropped the ball and proved to everyone that in certain places, racism is accepted AND encouraged. [Finger]