Idler arm off my X

My letter to Calmini:

Calmini Products, Inc.
6951 McDivitt Dr
Bakersfield, CA 93313
November 9, 2004

RE: Calmini Nissan Xterra Steering System

Attn: Steve Kramer

This letter is in regards to the above referenced matter. On 3/21/03, I purchased a Calmini Steering system for my Nissan Xterra. I paid $489.95 for a heavy-duty steering system that was advertised as more durable than the stock Nissan Xterra steering system. In April of 2003, I installed the steering system and by June of 2003, the bushings on the idler arm developed noticeable play. I called you in regards to this problem, and you requested that I have Ian Firth inspect the bushing because you did not feel that the bushing could be defective. After doing so, Ian called you and agreed that the bushing was defective. Shortly afterwards, you sent me a replacement idler arm, which I installed, and returned the defective idler arm.

Within 3 months, the bushing in the replacement idler arm developed play just as the original bushing had. I called Calmini and spoke to David, who told me that he would send me a replacement bushing but not the entire idler arm. The bushings were supposedly on backorder and I had to wait a month or so to receive them. David advised me that the replacement bushing would be a press fit and I would have to have someone press the bushings into the idler arm. In February 2004, I installed the replacement bushing. I noticed that the bushing did not require pressing at all. The bushings slid right into the idler arm with no force whatsoever. I called and spoke to David again to ask about the loose tolerance between the bushing and the idler arm. I mentioned what he had previously stated about a “press fit.” He told me “not to worry about it, and that it would be fine”.

The replacement bushing only lasted 3 months before developing noticeable play. I called and spoke to David again about this ongoing problem. He informed me that if I wanted a replacement idler arm, I would have to pay a $279.95 deposit, which would be credited back to my credit card once I returned the defective idler arm. I decided to pay the $279.95 plus $21.25 for shipping and waited for it to ship. The new idler arm finally shipped on 6/17/04. I received it a few days later, installed it, and sent back the defective idler arm via FedEx on 7/3/04. It has been 4 months now and I am still waiting to receive my deposit. Additionally, I had attempted to contact you every few days for 6 weeks after 7/3/04, and your employees continuously told me that you were unavailable and would return my call. As of 11/9/04 I have not heard from you.

The idler arm I returned to you is clearly defective with the exact issue that the first 3 idler arm/bushings suffered from. Numerous people on Xterraownersclub.com who have purchased your Calmini Xterra Steering System have also experienced the bushing failure, and have been posting complaints about it. One of your customers claims they were sent 3 idler arms and 4 sets of bushings over the course of 1 ˝ years.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX credit my credit card account $307.74. This is the total I paid for the deposit ($279.95), plus the shipping to my apartment ($21.25), as well as the shipping I paid to return the defective idler arm to your company via FedEx ($6.54). XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Please contact me at 303 XXX XXXX for my current credit card information.