Quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Quote:
Originally posted by Claus A Christensen:

[b]The beef producers in Canada are dying, the closed borders and Japan refusing to accept imports are both major causes to the disaster in the beef industry. 1 Case of Madcow decease which can NOT be transmitted to humans is costing the industry $11 million a day.
Since when can bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) NOT be transmitted to humans? The infecting protein itself needs at least 1000 degrees F of heat to fully denature. I work in biotech and I can tell you first hand that the FDA in this country (as well as equilivant agencies in other countries) would like the industry as a whole stop using ALL bovine derived ingredients completly (a lot of cell cultures still use FBS). Can the Canadian government prove no other cattle have the diease? Do the cattle farms in Canada still allow the feeding of cow to cow?[/b]
Feeding Cow to Cow has been illegal in Canada for some time, There was NO proof that the one cow that tested positive got it from contaminated feed. There has been no other symptoms on any other farm in Canada, Testing is changing here. There is actually speculation that the lone cow was a 2nd generation that came from the states. I talked to the vet at my father inlaws hospital (they are so big the have their own) he said it could have been spontanious??. I was also told that the beef itself is not contaminated?.

70% of the beef produced in Canada is exported to the US and other countries.

I guess I will have to buy a freezer for all that tenderloin and striploin we have coming our way....