Quote:
Originally posted by WilMac1023:
Yes, I do believe that Iraq had WMD's. I mean, there's no question about that, Saddam used them on the Kurds in the 80's. Besides that, we GAVE him the technology to do it when Iraq was fighting Iran.
We did not give him any chemical weapons. Several countries around the world sold him precursor dual use chemicals. That is just another propaganda lie.

Quote:
However, I DON'T believe that he had them after the Gulf War when the UN went in and commanded him to destroy them. I believe he did, and then wouldn't let inspectors in anymore, because, quite honestly, he had already destroyed them. Why continue the inspections if there aren't anymore weapons? (I'm not saying I believe this, I'm saying it's probably what Saddam was thinking.)
Part of the cease fire agreement was that he had to declare what he had and proove that he distroyed them all. He gave us a list, and never provided proof that he got rid of them. He agreed to do this and never did it. That was legal reason enough for us to remove him.

Quote:
What I do believe he had in mind was to keep the scientists around, and when the pressure was off, he'd start making them again. Problem was, the pressure never left him, so he couldn't restock his supplies.
All he had to do was proove that he destroyed them, and the sanctions would have been lifted. He chose to be ambiguous about it, because he thought no one would attack him if they thought he had the weapons. He was obviously wrong on that one.

Quote:
I, unlike you, DO care how we look to the rest of the world. Because the worse we look, the more Bin Ladens rise up in the Middle East. And by toppling Saddam, we've ruined the balance of power in the middle east, so now we have to occupy Iraq to bring order. And since occupation is the FIRST thing to set off the Muslims, you KNOW there's five or six Bin Ladens being created in Iraq right now.
Having an evil dictator be 'the balance of power' is not my idea of a good thing. This argument that we are creating terror is just dumb. The terrorists already exist. They are flooding into Iraq right now. We are hunting them down and killing them. They know if they lose their days of fooling their people are over.

Quote:
It is wonderful that Saddam is out of power, but we have to turn the power over to the Iraqi people and get out as soon as possible. The longer we are there, the more the Muslims will hate us.
There has to be something to turn the power over to first. You are arguing the French perspective here. It is ridiculous to assume we can just pull out and everything will work out. The Iraqis have said that they need time to get their government in order. Our new resolution leaves the timetable to the Iraqis themselves. I think that is the fairest thing that could be done, considering it is their country.