Quote:
I think SE is right on when he alluded to the sad story of the feeding frenzy for recruiters in poor areas. People join the military for a variety of reasons, but one of the biggest is because they have no other options. The military has been lowering requirements for service for years, how does that fit into the "well educated" category. While it is true that nearly 100% of the military at least have a high school education, a larger percentage of the general populace have at least some college.
Military recruiters are like cars salesmen. They have to be, and how is the military to blame because "poor people" have no other option but to join up. For many, they should be thankful that the military exists to help them get that needed leg up that they couldn't get in civilian life. I know I am. I would have never had the opportunity to go to college, or get trained in a high tech field if it wasn't for the military.

Military requirements for service elligibility have not been lowered by any means. Matter of fact they are higher now than they were 15 years ago when I was in service. Get your facts straight.

Quote:
A majority of people in the military are intelligent, and will recieve an education, but by no means is everyone serving today scholars. Many won't recieve any true education until they get out. After that many will, and have, gone on to great things, but ask them if they were ready for war as a 19 year old high school grad, and many will admit no.
News for you man, NOBODY is ready for war at 19, or even 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 etc...

Just pointing that out....