Quote:
Originally posted by Branden Burden:
Samuel, what does the US military today do? Why do we have a military if not to kill people? Yes it is the most basic arguement you can make, perhaps even a little bottom rung, but breaking the military down, it's sole purpose today is to kill people. Period. Sounds pretty bad, but it is the truth.

Please repond with a differing opinion, please fight for what you believe. Please help me understand what the main function of a military is, cause I guess I don't get it (and please don't try the "but it will save lives in the long run arguement", I don't buy it - how many lives did we save by rushing into Nam?)
Our military is a cohesive force designed to protect our interests, land, and people. Are members of the Coast Guard killers? They are a part of our military you know.

There are thousands of people in the military that only once a year even shoot a rifle let alone ever see a battlefield. The military is a mini-society all to itself, made up of doctors, lawyers, mechanics, food service personnel etc.

Everyone is a soldier yes. Everyone goes through basic training, learns basic tactics, learns the basics of "war" but then many go to advanced training and become something else entirely, like I said above, and have served their entire lives up to retirement without actually raising up arms against another human being. Is the potential there to take part in conflict and kill another human being? Yes it is. It's there if you are a cop too. Are all cops killers? Do all cops join the force specifically to kill another human being? Are all cops uneducated too?

Yep, I was really killing a lot of people that time I was detailed to fly food, water, and mail down to Florida after Hurricane Andrew hit. Yep, killed me a lot folks. I was US Army, 82nd Airborne at the time....

You're an idiot.