State Department on Joseph McCarthy

National Archives on Joseph McCarthy (I especially like the letter from Truman to McCarthy)

Letter from Eisenhower about McCarthy, page 1 (Note the line: "This particular individual wants, above all else, publicity.")

Letter from Eisenhower about McCarthy, page 2 (Note the line: "At times one feels almost like hanging his head in shame when he reads some of the unreasoned, vicious outbursts of demagoguery that appear in our public prints.")

Letter from Eisenhower to his brother (Note the best line: "To my mind, that practice smacks of more of the coward and the fool than of the leader.")

Yeah, Eisenhower sure thought a lot of him. :rolleyes: I dare say Eisenhower was "more" of a patriot than 99% of people out there.

Note: he was censured by a republican-led senate.

Anyone who thinks McCarthy was a "victim" is engaging in that time honored tradition of revisionism.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist