Quote:
Originally posted by spalind:
OK, I would agree that people should be able to live where they wish...this is America after all...but can at least some of you see a bit of my point that the homeowner must share at least SOME responsibility for the destruction of their home when they chose to build in places that may be more prone to disasters than others??
Does that mean if your home is damaged from the effects of freezing rain or an ice storm (search for "New Hampshire" on this FEMA page) that you should be held partially responsible because you live in an area where there could be ice storms? :rolleyes:

The only time I could see a homeowner being partially responsible for his home's destruction in a wildfire is if that homeowner did not take precautionary measures to clear fuel from around his home or refused/postponed intalling fire-retardant roofing. Witness the case of a single homeowner in the Scripps Ranch community whose home survived while hundreds of his neighbors homes burned to the ground.

One can only be "so prepared" for a natural disaster:
Live in a flood zone? Have flood insurance and/or buy a home on stilts.
Live in tornado alley? Buy a home with a basement and keep your most valued possessions there.
Live where earthquakes are possible? Buy a home whose construction meets earthquake-resistant building codes, secure your furniture and appliances.
Live where wildfires are possible? Trim back those bushes, don't keep fuel near your home, get rid of your shake roof.

Sometimes, though, despite your best preparations, shit happens. You can no more blame the residents for their burned homes than you can a driver being hit head-on by another car. If you want a life with ZERO risk, good luck finding it.