Quote:
Originally posted by Andre the Giant:
As far as William Bennett goes, I don't think that him being a complusive gambler has any effect on the validity of his ideas. I mean geez, the fact that Bill Clinton was a compulsive liar didn't seem to effect his ability to govern. Al Gore's environmental whackiness didn't get in the way of him investing millions in oil companies.

As far as I know, William Bennett never preached against gambling, he seems to be able to afford losing 8 million bucks without going broke... The only thing I have against him is this. After you lost the first, say, one million, wouldn't you start to think that you're a fucking terrible gambler and should cut your losses? 8 million fucking dollars?!? What the hell were you thinking?!? Dumbass!
Gotta agree. While I don't agree with most of what he says, I don't see where the gambling has any effect. If it doesn't affect their job, what someone does in private shouldn't matter. (Obviously, if he were having an affair, that would be different - but only because he is always talking about family values and such.)
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist