Quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
I think my POINT was that Islam WAS the political system...because that's the way the populationed there WANTED IT....

laugh

So - Its the same as US wanting OUR religeon to be part of our system...we want laws that allow religeon as part of our public lives...and we want those that DON'T want religeon as part of THEIR public lives to just accept that majority rules, and get over it.

laugh
I forget....what's "our" religion again?

I think the thing that people forget, a fundamental part of "our" political philosophy as Americans, is that our constitution is based on a respect and reverence for the rights of the individual, not the majority. Mob rule is not democracy. Although the "Under God" argument is a divisive non-issue to me, I must take exception to the reasoning that, because there are more Christians than non-Christians in this country (if there are), the rest of the nation should "just get over it." There have been lots of instances of injustice, far more disgusting and dishonorable that were widely practiced in this country, and this country would be a terrible place to live had the courts said, "Well, people like slavery, so I guess you have to be slaves. Sorry. Majority rules."
Constitutionality is not based on "hey, there's more of us than you, so shut the fuck up."