I was commenting with my family that in the last few years I have noticed a new trend in attitudes toward hispanics. Previously we were generally ignored by popular and political culture. Now there seems to be an increasing presence of our culture in American society as a whole. Major political issues are centered around us and we have politicians clamoring for our votes. Our presence in the entertainment sector has been steadily increasing, which we all know sets the tone for society as a whole. Seems like we are now in a situation where we are either liked or disliked but no longer ignored.

Now this does not come as a surprise to me. I live in a town that is 80% hispanic so trends happening in American culture have been present here since forever. It seems to me that there is a new paranoia about "losing" the country. Attitudes that were directed at other minorities are now centered on us. Well let me tell you that you should be afraid.

My father calls it the retaking of our land. Now instead of doing it by military means we are doing it with our educated people. That's right it isn't the poor families in the slums you should be worried about it is families like mine that are a threat. Where every member has at least a bachelors degree. We are taking your white collar jobs thereby taking positions of influence in your society. We speak a minimum of 2 languages each fluently. Our children will be harder to identify as mexican so you might just give that job to someone with brown in their blood. The day is not far where you will be cutting my grass. Sleep well.