Quote:
Originally posted by mbflyerfan:
It seems to me that safety was a non-issue. A million dollars is like $5.50 in government speak. I wonder how much it wouldve cost for Marine 1 to make the same trip. My guess is not much less.
Safety is NEVER a non-issue on an aircraft carrier, especially when you've got the President coming in. I'm curious as to whether the Secret Service raised any objections.

Regardless, I don't see what the big deal is. I think the crew of the Lincoln deserved it. They were heading home and got sent back out in December (November/January?). They were stuck out there a lot longer than they originally had planned. Those sailors deserve some sort of thanks/recognition for doing that.
"Nature has constituted utility to man the standard and test of virtue. Men living in different countries, under different circumstances, different habits and regimens, may have different utilities; the same act, therefore, may be useful and consequently virtuous in one country which is injurious and vicious in another differently circumstanced" - Thomas Jefferson, moral relativist