I'm fortunate enough to fly in F-16s. The life-support gear, including clothing, is all engineered with purpose, part of which is to keep one alive. I don't even know what type of aircraft Bush flew in. I didn't read it that closely.

Here's what one wears as an F-16 crewmember.
  • Flight suit - special material, pockets, velcro, adjustable, zippers working special ways.
  • G-suit - the item containing the air bladders that squeeze your thighs and abdomen. Fits very tightly prior to g-activation with zippers and velcro.
  • Boots - specially designed with features specific to pilots - won't go into it.
  • Gloves - standard, nothing special.
  • Harness - heavy, network of nylon-webbed straps and buckles that straps around your body parts, very tightly, and keeps you attached to your seat at five attach points and also to your survival kit, it is the harness for your parachute in the event of emergency egress.
  • Skullcap - under the helmet.
  • Helmet - incorporates minimal impact protection, incorporates headset and visor, and attachment points for mask and chinstrap.
  • Mask - the worst part. Provides air and O2, and reverse breathing modes at altitude. Incorporates the mic. Fits very tightly and is not pleasant to wear.

In this aircraft, these things are not an option. Then there are special things in addition sometimes.
I think Bush's posing is great PR. I like having a leader that presents the image of a crewmember decked out in "warrior gear" on a flight deck, as opposed to the image of a man cheating on his wife, getting a hummer from an intern behind a closed door (which costs the public how much?).