Quote:
Originally posted by Karlan:
My coworker (soft-core jeep nut) claims his son's stock Wrangler X would run circles around my 4x4 OR off road. He keeps going off about mil-specs and BS like that.. According to my research, the OR Xterra has more power, torque, tire size, and clearance than the Wrangler X... AND I have a locking rear diff.
So... take him up on it. Lots of talk on these forums. Be one that'll take someone up on a challenge.

If he has a regular length Wrangler, he's already 1000 lbs lighter than you. The X is heavier, and much of it is sprung, making it top heavy. Did you also catch the part about drainplugs in the floor, the computer being in a watertight housing at the top of the firewall, the altenator being mounted at the top of the motor, and even the stereo being splashproof?

Serious off-roaders go for straight axles, rather than IFS. I'm into R/C stuff too, and here's a simple demonstration of an IFS suspension versus a straight axle:

Both vehicles have their rear axles firmly planted. Anything more would raise a rear tire. I show you, and others, this picture so you can see why straight axles perform better when climbing over obstacles. Having an extra inch of ground clearance is great, but having the ability to put a tire on the obstacle, and go over it, changes the game entirely. Do a little more research and you'll find out the new suspension on the Wranglers out performs most vehicles, even many older, modified Wranglers. It's VERY nible and has a lot of articulation. Oh, if you want to see a real world stock Jeep with this articulation, follow this link. Here's how an Xterra stacked up with the swaybar removed: Link. Compare the RTI (Ramp Travel Index) figures yourself, keeping in mind both vehicles are stock, but swaybars removed.

Be glad he didn't get the "off-road" version, or he'd show up in Rubicon trim, and eat your lunch. Yes, those come with factor lockers, front and back.

If you want him to respect your ride, then earn it. wink

FWIW, my girlfriend is looking at buying a new 06 Wrangler Unlimited in a few weeks. She really enjoyed my last Jeep. I might pay the difference, and get it in Rubicon trim. The X is MUCH more refined, gets better gas mileage, is more comfortable, more room, blah blah. We all own one because they are such outstanding vehicles. Great daily driver, but dontcha think "some" of these benefits come at some cost? You can't have your cake and it it too.

I enjoy trail riding, and I'm not a snob with either vehicle. But for those who doubt how well a Wrangler does, I hope to see some of you on the trails. My buddy thinks his old Range Rover (Jeep clone) is the best thing to ever hit the dirt. You'll be welcome to join us. Prove us both wrong. laugh