Quote:
Originally posted by RiNkY:

If Gas Mileage is the problem then from investigating these forums closely and a few other sites I see that the following is reccomended by some folks to ease the gas bill:

1. The K&N Air Intake - Get rid of the restrictive old box, should set you back around $220.

2. Get a Good set of spark plugs, don't skimp.

3. Tornado Fuel Saver - Available on Ebay for $40 or $50.

This not only saves on Gas mileage but will add a little more power, then for the ultimate power gain and another increase add a less restrictive Exhaust system and you should be laughing all the way to the Gas station with 3 or 4 mpg better.

Now has anyone tried any of these mods and seen an improvement? As I plan to add these to my 2000 5 speed shortly.
You're kidding, right?

eek

1) I've seen NO increase in mpg since installing my K&N drop in filter and modifing my air box. More responsive yes, better mileage no.

2) How will changing your already good stock plugs help (unless they're old)? I've installed iridium plugs in my truck, better starting and a smoother idle, but again no change in mpg.

3) A Tornado Fuel Saver? absolutely useless for a fuel injected motor. Big waste of money (i.e. "snake oil").

In addition, I've also installed a Gibson S.S. exhaust system, and I never get a chuckle when filling my gas tank. To make a long story short, after adding/modifing my Xterra, my truck is more responsive than it was stock, but I get the same gas mileage (average 15 - 16 mpg).

My Former 2001 Xterra SE 4x4 With Modifications

My Ex-Xterra Web Site